[Support request] Feature Request: Post Format Improvements

Home Forums Support [Support request] Feature Request: Post Format Improvements

Home Forums Support Feature Request: Post Format Improvements

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Paul

Hi Tom,

While developing a new site, I thought that perhaps some future GP improvements could be made to the styling and presentation of the various Post Formats.

Right now, the Image, Aside, and Status post formats don’t seem very distinct from the Standard post format, but these could have powerful uses, especially for marketing-optimized websites.

For example, Image posts could display on the blog index page with a 100% width, auto height version (within the container) of the featured image instead of a thumbnail size, and with no title, post content or post meta. An Aside could show the featured image thumbnail along with the post content or post excerpt neatly aligned to the left (or right), and with no title or post meta included. A Status could display on the blog index with no featured image, just the post or excerpt content — maybe with font styled to be larger or bolder or in contrasting color — with a customizable background color to fill the container (this would make it stand out from all the other post formats).

Having these various Post Formats with distinct stylings could really add to the visual interest of a blog index page, and provide a lot of flexibility to sites used by marketers, ecommerce, bloggers, companies, etc. Right now, so many blog index pages look the same with the same old bland Title, Featured Image, Meta, Content/Except structure and it would be nice to see a theme that offers something different and eye-catching in terms of the way posts are displayed.

Do you have any thoughts about this? I may play around a bit with this using just CSS, but it might be cool to have some of the customizations available in the Customizer too.

Cheers,
    Paul

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the suggestions. We will definitely consider them.

Keep in mind that the more features we add, the slower the theme/plugin will be which kind of defeat the main purpose of GP which is simple, customizable and fast πŸ™‚

I would recommend checking out Tom’s WP Show Posts plugin. It’s made for users who are looking for more blog customization.
    https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/wp-show-posts/

Hope this helps!

Paul

Hi Leo, I’ve used the WP Show Posts plugin, but that’s for displaying posts anywhere by taxonomy. What I’m talking about is Post Formats styling so each post format is styled a bit differently.

Here’s a mock-up of what I mean: http://imgur.com/fcvSomb

Seems like much of it could be handled directly in CSS, but it would be nice to have an extra add-on within GP Premium (that could be turned off) that uses the Customizer to handle the colors, font sizes, featured image sizes, title/author/meta/excerpt display options, etc.

Cheers,
    Paul

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Paul,

This is something I’m considering for Blog add-on.

Being careful when it comes to adding CSS/code that not everyone will benefit from (some aren’t bloggers etc..), so I think the Blog add-on is a perfect place for some cool new features like this πŸ™‚

Thanks a lot for the ideas!

Paul

That would be super awesome, Tom!

I’ve never really found a theme that makes good, productive use of the various post formats for different types of content and as I was putting together a website for a local realtor whose focus in on attracting clients who enjoy the outdoors and outdoor recreation, I thought it would be super cool for him to be able to post his personal outdoor activity photos on his blog to show and brag about the recreational opportunities in the area without having to write an entire blog post (New Post > Image post format > add Featured Image > Publish!)

In the mock-up from my earlier comment above, I didn’t mention the Video post format, but this one is equally important, especially for businesses that rely on YouTube as part of their marketing channel mix.

Cheers,
    Paul

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I agree. I actually feel like WordPress just kind of added post formats and forgot about them, never giving them much thought. I’ll see what I can integrate πŸ™‚

Bastian

Hi Tom, hi Paul,

thats exactly that what i’m looking for πŸ™‚
    Tom, since you last reply to this post its gone one month. Is there a chance that you can tell us when we can expact an Addod with different post formats (for me specifically the qoute format)?
    I want to insert quotes from my daughter πŸ™‚

Cheers,
    Bastian

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Not in the immediate future – there’s a few things that are higher up on the to-do list.

There is a quote post format already – if you open a topic with an example of what you’re wanting to achieve I’ll be happy to help πŸ™‚

Roberto

some news about this improvements?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.