[Support request] Export one page to be used on another site

Home Forums Support [Support request] Export one page to be used on another site

Home Forums Support Export one page to be used on another site

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    John

I created a staging site for my website and created a new home page using GP and was wondering if there’s a way to copy just that one page into my live site without having to copy the whole staging site? I hope that makes sense.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

I’m not sure if there is a method to duplicate a single page or post, unfortunately.

Maybe give this plugin a shot?
    https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

Let me know 🙂

Laura Stella

Hi, Leo – 14 months ago, you wrote this…”I’m not sure if there is a method to duplicate a single page or post, unfortunately”, and I was wondering if that were still the case. I am rebuilding my blog using GP and want to transfer some posts from the old site to the staging site and some from the staging site back to the original one. Is there still not a way to copy a post to another blog site?
    If it still takes a plugin, is the one you recommend above still your best recommendation?
    Thanks, everybody. Happy new year and stay safe.
    Laura Stella Sitges

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

you can use the WordPress Export / Import function in Dashboard > Tools.
    When you select Post in the exporter you will be given a list of filters to choose from. You can create a unique category or author for the posts you want to move and then filter the export for them only.

On importing to the new site – they will make a copy …. not a duplicate.

However if you’re using a Staging Site you should not need to do this – simply push the site to staging, update your posts, when your happy push the changes to the live site … or maybe i am missing something.

Laura Stella

If I understand you correctly, the staging site with the new theme can not be made into the new functioning site with the flip of a switch, which is what I was hoping. Everything has to be transferred back to the live site, which means the original is erased. I fear this, but maybe for reasons that aren’t valid. I assume GenPress won’t be a problem, and that all the little changes made in the staging area don’t have to be repeated on the original, but can be made as a single collection, the GenPress customizer, transferred as a whole. But I WANT the GenPress changes to be superimposed across the whole site.
    Gutenberg changes, however, to 7 years of posts whose pre-Gutenberg-block photo-to-text layouts and formats MUST NOT be ruined, scare me to death. My site is historical/archaeological, which means the old posts are just as relevant as the new ones; they don’t get outdated, where you can just decide to leave them a mess.
    I’ve seen that there’s an option with each post to stay ‘classical’, so maybe that’s where my fears wouldn’t come true. But what if they phase that out. I’m writing a book, basically, that I don’t want to have to rewrite every time someone decides to discontinue a theme, or when Gutenberg is phased out for something else. Can you tell me what will happen to the intactness of old posts I don’t want to have to go back and make major repairs to?
    I’m also changing the name of the blog, which is why I was hoping that the staging site could be made live under the new name, and I could keep both for a period of time, until redirection measures were no longer needed and/or I had transferred all the old posts to the new site with no damage to their layout/formats.
    I hope I haven’t made a hash of my explanation.
    Laura

Laura Stella

I guess I’m presuming that somehow the transfer of posts individually from the original to the new one, if it is possible to make the staging site live under the new name, is different, safer, than transfering all the changes made in the staging site, to the original, as a whole. But I don’t know.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

the staging site with the new theme can not be made into the new functioning site with the flip of a switch, which is what I was hoping.

It’s pretty tough to tell sometimes – the switch shouldn’t be that difficult but it will somewhat depend on how well your old theme is coded and if it’s within the WordPress standards.

I would say that starting a staging site and duplicate your existing site over is step 1. Then you can activate GeneratePress then and start making the tweaks as neccessary.

Laura Stella

Bluehost transferred the whole site over and I’m nearly finished doing the general changes on several of the recent old posts, and 2 new ones that have never been on the old site. Just in case I’d see something that I couldn’t have anticipated. Am pretty close to finished with the redesign, and will soon get to the scary part (for me) of transferring back to the live site.
    I did ask Bluehost to make me a third staging site for the whole original blog, in case the original got screwed up by the transfer.
    So I guess there’s no way to turn the staging site into a live site under the new name, huh?
    So what will happen to my old posts?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Most hosts i use – the staging site is literally an exact copy of the original site, including all content, posts, permalinks etc. and once you have amended the staging site you can simply PUSH the site to the live state. There should be no loss of data aside of anything you deleted in the staging site.

Also, the host could simply make a backup of your current live site, in case there is a problem with moving the staging to a live status.

I would suggest raising your ‘fears’ with the host.

Laura Stella

Whew! That’s good news. I haven’t run across a function that looks like a ‘push’ button the user can use. Is pushing something I ask Bluehost to do?
    There are places on the staging site where a link, when hovered, instead shows a circle with a line through it; not quite sure what to do about those. But I’m sure I’ll find out in the course of learning this, and know where y’all are if I don’t.
    Can’t tell you how appreciative I am of you guys being willing to help real non-techies like me. Best money I ever spent, GenPress Premium. Not having enough money to hire someone else to build a site isn’t the only reason a non-techy should muddle through doing it themselves. In my case, I was told by a builder who’d recently decided to specialize in his new favorite theme, GenPress, that there was no way to get the look that my old theme gave me, something I was very stubborn about. I decided to try it myself, and there it was, front and center, the way to do it the way I wanted, no special css. Strange.
    Til the next problem.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Yes PUSHing would be something that Bluehost should be able to assist with.
    Glad to hear your enjoying GP 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.