[Resolved] Existing website – switch from float to flexbox or manually new website setup?

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Existing website – switch from float to flexbox or manually new website setup?

Home Forums Support Existing website – switch from float to flexbox or manually new website setup?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Michael

Hi,
    Does a switch from float (current website) to flexbox generates the same optimization and reduced code than a clean setup of my website directly with a fresh GP3?

Or will there remain some unused, obsolete code snippets?

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

GP3 regardless of fresh or update from older versions, keeps the option to switch between floats and flexbox.

That said, if you perceive the codes for having the option of going back to floats as “obsolete” since you’re not going to use it anymore, then yes, that’ll be a remainder obsolete code snippet.

Other “bloats” will depend on how much customization is already added to your current website with regards to floats.
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/switching-from-floats-to-flexbox/

Michael

Hi Elvin,

thanks for the rapid answer. I’m not a coder, so I just want to get my website faster (performance), which is then main reason to switch to flexbox. And as you mentioned, flexbox is the way to go these days…

On my website I use GP Premium too, and as layout/block plug-in only kadence blocks.
    (I hope the info box will be integrated in GP in later versions…)

So what do you recommend? Clean new setup (my website isn’t that complex, only a portfolio) oder just toggle from float to flexbox? On my stage/test website the switch flexbox doesn’t show any problems. But I can’t proof if it’s clean and reduced code…

Live Website:
    https://michaelmittau.com

Regards, Michael

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

So what do you recommend? Clean new setup (my website isn’t that complex, only a portfolio) oder just toggle from float to flexbox? On my stage/test website the switch flexbox doesn’t show any problems. But I can’t proof if it’s clean and reduced code…

Yeah that’s the way. When in doubt, make a staging site (for comparison).

Making a staging site lets you have an idea of what you’re going to get. You can try making a fresh one on a staging site and have it checked on performance scoring sites.

And then compare that to your current site w/ flexbox toggled on. Check if there’s any significant performance different.

If it isn’t actually complex, perhaps switching to flexbox is enough.

We can’t really determine which performs better in your case as we’re not fully sure what’s added.

Food for thought: While having a fresh site is nice since you’re sure there’s no bloat, if it’s too tedious to start from scratch, perhaps its not worth going through all that hassle to gain little performance improvements over simply switching to flexbox.

Michael

Thanks Elvin, that’s the way to go, you’re right.

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

No problem. 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.