[Resolved] Excerpts not showing in single posts

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Excerpts not showing in single posts

Home Forums Support Excerpts not showing in single posts

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Max

Hey there!

I have been trying out things with GP Premium for a while now and like the theme a lot.

I recently discovered an issue though: On my single post pages the manual excerpt is missing. I created dummy posts and wrote manual excerpts in the excerpt box. The excerpts do show up in one of the plugins I am using (Post Carousel Pro) but once I click on the post preview and get to the single post page only the full post text is being displayed but not the manual excerpt.
    I have read through various forum posts but did not discover any solution.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Best wishes

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

By WordPress default manual excerpt won’t show up in single posts as the post content – it will only show in the archive/blog pages.

If you want your excerpt to also show as single posts content, then perhaps the normal auto excerpt is what you are looking for?

This is actually all controlled by WordPress and you can learn more about it here:
    https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/the_excerpt/

Let me know if this helps ๐Ÿ™‚

Max

Hi Leo,

Thanks for your quick reply!
    The manual excerpt possesses some useful functionalities which I want to benefit from which is why I want to avoid using the auto excerpt. I want it to be the teaser to the post which is why it has to appear both as a preview in plugins (and elsewhere) and on the single post page. Otherwise users might wonder where that piece of text has gone. I tried a few workarounds using php etc. but non of them worked.
    That’s why I will be using the less elegant but functional method of simply adding the manual excerpt text to the post as well – above the main text.
    This is far less work than fiddling around with functions.php

Best wishes

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

One thing you can do is to use the PHP code in this example to create a shortcode for the custom excerpt and then add it to the top of your content:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/page-hero-examples/#example-4

Max

Thank you! I might give this a try as well.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

No problem ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.