[Resolved] Enhancement request: improve staging site update process

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Enhancement request: improve staging site update process

Home Forums Support Enhancement request: improve staging site update process

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Scott

This is not high priority and is an enhancement request, not a support request. It is something that would make my business more efficient and give me more time to put GP Premium to work for more customers.

On many sites, staging is a one-time thing for dev then the site gets launched and staging goes away. GP Premium is fine for those. On other sites, where there is a lot of on-going development and a lot of complexity to test when updates come out, the process of copying production to staging then making updates or changes and testing is a frequent and on-going process. On these sites, testing GP Premium requires re-entering the update key after every time the staging site is replaced with the current production site.

It is only a minute or two delay to go look up my key, go to Appearances | GeneratePress and enter it into the Updates field then save it then work my way back to Dashboard | Updates and do the update that failed when I updated the rest. But that delay inevitably happens in the middle of a workflow that would be smoother without the detour.

It would be really helpful if there was a way to register a production and staging url with each activation so that the use of the activated production database worked for the staging site too. If one site is xyz.com and the other is staging-xyz.kinsta.cloud (or similar variants for WP Engine, etc.), you can’t use the simple trick of allowing xyz.com and anything.xyz.com or anything-xyz.com to receive updates like in the good old days so I appreciate this isn’t a simple thing.

Thanks for considering this minor annoyance and what might be able to be done about.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hey Scott,

This is actually something I’ve looked into, but our current system only stores one URL when a license is activated, unfortunately.

What I did do was make it so you only have to hit the “Save” button in “Appearance > GeneratePress” to update the URL the license is active for.

It’s still an annoyance, but at least it’s not required to re-enter the license key etc..

I’ll definitely keep this in mind for the future ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks!

Scott

Thanks Tom, I didn’t know I could just press Save and that does make this a lot easier to deal with as I don’t have to go open another app and enter a password to get the key from a digital vault and paste it in.

Pressing just one button is much less likely to make me forget why I logged in in the first place<g>

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Awesome ๐Ÿ™‚ Glad I could help!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.