[Resolved] Elements, Customizer, etc.

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Elements, Customizer, etc.

Home Forums Support Elements, Customizer, etc.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    NBC

If you look at this thread, you’ll see the reason I originally started this discussion.

I attempted to follow up on David’s advice, but I ran into some complications.

1. In the Customizer, displaying the one page on which the footer widgets need to appear, I cannot adjust the footer widgets. The only place the Customizer shows that can accept widgets on that page is the footer. I can make the adjustments in Appearance > Widgets, but not in the Customizer itself.
    2. When I attempt to revise the Element I created so it specifies 0 footer widgets and applies an exclusion for the one page on which they need to appear, I can create the exclusion (set to “Page”) but it won’t allow me to specify the page.
    Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

1. Not sure if I fully understand. So you don’t see this setting in the customizer?
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/footer-widgets/#global-setting

2. Just to confirm, you don’t see the field when selecting page?
    https://www.screencast.com/t/8tx3Yw9R

NBC

1. I load the Customizer and (on the right) navigate to the one page that’s supposed to display the three footer widgets. At left, I click on the “Widgets” tab. The tab area is replaced with the following message:

You are customizing Widgets
    Your theme has 10 other widget areas, but this particular page doesn’t display them.
    You can navigate to other pages on your site while using the Customizer to view and edit the widgets displayed on those pages.

The only widget area I can customize is “Top Bar.” This is despite the fact that if I go to Appearance > Widgets, I’ve clearly established 3 footer widgets.

2. Correct. I add an area to Exclude, set the dropdown “Choose…” menu to “Page,” and that’s all I can do.

Both of these conditions concern the page to which I provided the link.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

can you try deleting the element.
    Then return to the customizer screen where Leo pointed out the number of widgets and ensure they are set. Then go to the Customizer > Widgets to see if the Footer Widgets are listed.

NBC

I hated to delete the Element, given how long it took to create, but I put it in the trash.

No change.

Guess I’ll just stick to what I had. It wasn’t ideal, but it was predictable.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Odd – do you want to send us temporary admin login so we can take a look at whats causing this ?

NBC

I’ll need a secure way to convey that information.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You can send it via the Account Issue form here:

https://generatepress.com/contact/

Please include the URL of this topic.

NBC

Done.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

I have got the login – can you confirm the correct URL as i am getting “Site not found” from the link in the original topic.

You can edit your original topic to update that link

NBC

Somehow, the link got submitted as secure. I haven’t added a security certificate to the site yet because it’s still in development.

I edited the link. Try it again. Thanks!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

OK – i cannot see any obvious issue with any of the settings.
    So i can only assume there is a conflict.

Can you first disable the Child Theme to test for conflict.
    If missing Widgets # still persists then can you try disabling all other plugins aside from GPP.

NBC

Switched off child theme and went to GP/GPP only. No change.

Next I’ll try deactivating all my plug-ins. (I hope I don’t lose any settings.)

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Settings should be saved in the plugins options in the database. So they should not be lost.
    If you’re concerned then maybe create a staging site to perform these tests on.

NBC

OK, turns out it’s a plug-in. GDPR Cookie Consent, to be specific.

Great. Any suggestions for a replacement?

BTW, one thing that really confuses me is that the number of available widget areas changes in the Customizer depending on which site page you’re viewing. That implies that you can add a widget to one single page through the Customizer without affecting others, but AFAIK, that’s not the case.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.