[Resolved] Editor Role and capabilities

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Editor Role and capabilities

Home Forums Support Editor Role and capabilities

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ziggs Stardust

Hi,

I don’t know if this is a theme problem.

I have setup a test WP site to tutor some people how to be content Editors on a part of my domain. As I understand it, the Editor privileges & capabilities allows content creation and publication of posts. Some parts of the admin tools are made invisible by default, this includes ‘Appearance’ which contains the link to the menu section.

I set my self up as Editor, and when I set the parent page and publish, the page does not appear on the front end of the site, and of course, being Editor, I have no access to the Menu section.

Is this a theme problem or am I missing something glaringly obvious? Any help would be appreciated.

Ziggs Stardust

I have just tried it on my localhost setup and it works fine. I will do a fresh re install of the test site on my domain and see if it is anything I have done wrong. I will report the results back here later today.

Ziggs Stardust

OK – just did a fresh install on the live server. Loaded the theme. Uploaded and activated plugins. Created menus and some pages as Administrator. Created a new Editor account and logged back in as Editor. Created a page, made it a child of an existing page and published. It is still not showing up on the front end!

Would appreciate some help – is this is a theme problem or am I doing anything intrinsically wrong?

Regards.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I think this is a WP thing.

This may help: https://wordpress.org/support/topic/editors-cant-edit-menus

Let me know ๐Ÿ™‚

Ziggs Stardust

Hi Tom.

Thanks for the link. Using that bit of code seems to work – the problem being that the Appearance Menu and sub menus are then open to the Editor to abuse (if they choose to do so!).

I tried a test. I nuked the website and database on the live server. Created new DB and a fresh install of WP and activated the ‘Twenty Fourteen theme.’ I setup an admin & Editor account and I had no publish Editor publish capabilities via a theme that WP maintains! I installed a fresh version of GP (with no add-ons) and I could publish as Editor both parent & child pages. The problem seems to be related to when the Nav menu is created and admin adds pages that were created by Editors to the ‘menu holder’ then Editors lose publishing capabilities. Like you said, it is a WP thing.

Trying to lock down everything under the Appearance Menu (except ‘Menus’) was a nightmare until I discovered this script:

https://www.role-editor.com/allow-access-appearance-menu-items/

You do not need the plugin ‘User Role Editor’ installed for it to work. Just create wp-content/mu-plugins. Put the 1 page script in the mu-plugins folder, and then only access to ‘Menus’ is available to the Editor role. You can add capabilities and roles in the script or take away access or add access to sub menus of the Appearance panel. A big shout out to the creator Vladimir Garagulya Hope this helps somebody else.

Regards.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Glad it wasn’t a GP issue – thanks for the additional info! ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.