[Resolved] Editing Primary Navigation Menu Structure

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Editing Primary Navigation Menu Structure

Home Forums Support Editing Primary Navigation Menu Structure

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Walker

Hi Tom, and happy new year.

I updated my local dev site to GeneratePress 1.3.23 the other day and WordPress from 4.3.1 to 4.4, and since doing so I can’t edit my primary nav menu structure via the Appearance > Menus option. It only displays the Pages/Posts boxes on the left-hand side, the Menu Structure editor on the right-hand side has disappeared. Yet my site’s primary nav menus are still intact (and present in wp_posts).

I can still edit the primary nav in the GeneratePress theme customizer (Appearance > Customize), but I use the Nav Menu Roles plugin to restrict access to menu items based on user roles, and its UI/options don’t show up if I go through the customizer.

I’ve tried deactivating the Nav Menu Roles plugin, and switching from my GP child theme back to GeneratePress, but still there’s no menu structure section. I also have W3 Total Cache, which I’ve deactivated too.

I’m guessing nobody else has encountered this specific problem, just wondering if anyone has any ideas what might have caused the Appearance > Menus dashboard to break.

Thanks,
    Dan

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Dan, Happy New Year!

You may have another plugin installed that isn’t compatible with 4.4 and is causing issues.

Give #1 on this page a try: https://generatepress.com/knowledgebase/debugging/

Also, make sure you purged the cache in W3 Total Cache before deactivating it.

Daniel Walker

Hi Tom, you’re right of course, I should’ve deactivated ALL of my plugins before posting. Turns out it was the Types plugin (for custom post types) that needed updating to the latest version to work with 4.4.

Thanks,
    Dan

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Awesome, glad you resolved it 🙂

Tim

Hi Tom

We have GP Premium and when I go to Appearance — Menus – the menu structure is grayed out. How can I access the structure in that area to easily change menu items or #2 create primary nav items that are not clickable – only to have live drop down categories that are real pages? Menu grayed out

Email is aimadvantage {@} gmail.com

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I believe you just need to create a menu first – should be a field for that near the top of the page.

Tim

Thanks Tom- Already have a functioning primary menu that is not editable through either the WP option or the Generate Press option- I can change the order of the items only on the edit page or quick edit function.

The menu was created automatically as I created each page – but I cannot edit the structure at all. ..

So, if I create the menu over again, do I have to un-assign the current default menu and then re-assign the new one? Seems redundant. Please see this site- it’s already a functioning menu that WP created as I added pages. . .Is that menu no available for editing the structure? http://timscholten.com/

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Yes, you’ll want to create your own manual menu and set the theme location to Primary. This way you have full control over the items instead of WP controlling it automatically. More info on menus here: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/using-the-wordpress-menu-builder/

If you need more help feel free to create a new topic so Daniel doesn’t get bombarded with emails.

Thanks!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.