[Resolved] Does a GP-update wipe out customized programming

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Does a GP-update wipe out customized programming

Home Forums Support Does a GP-update wipe out customized programming

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    John

Hello Support at GP !

Does a GP-update wipe out customized programming?

Last week I lost the work my coder in the UK had done. Thankfully, he could quickly reload it. We are not sure, however, what caused it to be deleted. Could the cause have been a GP update?

Thanks.

John

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

if your coder added any code to the Themes files, then yes they will be lost when the Theme is updated. WordPress overwrites the entire theme directory on update, which is why you should never edit them. Instead you should use a Child Theme for making changes to the Theme.

https://docs.generatepress.com/article/using-child-theme/

John

Hi David,

You write: “… if your coder added any code to the Themes files, then yes they will be lost when the Theme is updated. WordPress overwrites the entire theme directory on update, which is why you should never edit them.”

You refer to both GP and WP. Are you saying that when either happens – GP is updated or WP is updated – any added code to the Theme (meaning GP) files will be lost.

Did I get that right?

John

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You refer to both GP and WP. Are you saying that when either happens – GP is updated or WP is updated – any added code to the Theme (meaning GP) files will be lost.

No – its only when a Theme is updated, not when WP updates.
    I referenced WP as the Theme Updater is a WordPress core function, its that function that overwrites the old theme.

John

Got it.
    WP goes and grabs the newest version of GP.
    That was never clear to me.

Thanks, David !

John

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Thats correct 🙂
    Glad to be of help!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.