[Resolved] Do I have to get a license to use in GP Premium included fonts commercially?

Home Forums Support Do I have to get a license to use in GP Premium included fonts commercially?

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 months ago by David.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Pascal

The font I prefer in GP Premium is Century Gothic. However, the font has a proprietary license and the author Monotype wants money on fonts.com (https://www.fonts.com/font/monotype/century-gothic). Do I have to purchase a “Web font license” at https://www.fonts.com/font/monotype/century-gothic/licenses or am I allowed to use the font for free, because I paid for GP or because of some other reasons? I’ve done some research and while some state I do not redistribute the font I do not have to pay for it, other individuals are of the opinion I do have to get a license in case I want to use the font. Maybe some of you know a little bit more and are willing to help. Thanks.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

you can select the Century Gothic font in the Customizer without requiring a license.
    It is a System Stack font.
    System Stack fonts are not stored in the theme or on your website.
    They are pre-loaded on some operating systems.
    90% of Windows devices has Century Gothic, MacOS around 50%.
    But iOS and Android devices are less likely to have them installed. In this case they will use their most common system font eg. Roboto for Android devices.

If you want to make sure all devices display a specific font then you would need to install the font locally. In this case you would need to own a web font license for it.

Pascal

Applied the changes and my phones use device default on the webpage, as you said. Looks rather meh. The target user is on mobile, so I’ll go with a similar Google font. Thanks, David!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.