[Resolved] Dividing Website into distinct parts

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Dividing Website into distinct parts

Home Forums Support Dividing Website into distinct parts

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mark

I currently have a GP website at http://staging1.hardyness.com.

I don’t know exactly how to say what I want to do, but here is a try.

Currently the website has dual purpose: 1. A general information site for “Hardyness Wellness Coaching and 2. Specific information for a program called “HAPPY THIS YEAR.”
    To this end, I have put HAPPY THIS YEAR in the main menu and when a user clicks there, he/she is taken to a page which describes the program. In addition to this, there is a main menu item called EMAIL ARCHIVE that lists archived emails for ONLY this program.

Since this is the beginning of Hardyness, Inc. there has only been one program.

Now, however, I would like to add more “programs”, not just HAPPY THIS YEAR. In addition, the EMAIL ARCHIVE page (and corresponding link in the main menu) apply only to emails for the HAPPY THIS YEAR PROGRAM, so I really don’t want to have that in the main nav menu. In addition, perhaps the main menu should just have a menu item called “Programs” and HAPPY THIS YEAR and its associated EMAIL ARCHIVES should only appear when a user is viewing the HAPPY THIS YEAR program. (Currently I have protected the EMAIL ARCHIVES page to allow viewing only for the role “member.)

I don’t know if this a generate press issue or a general WordPress issue, but I would like to structure the site to have different parts for different programs.

1. Would I need to create a separate website for each program and then link to them from this “main” site?
    2. Is there another way (perhaps using the secondary nav function in GP) to do this all in the same website, and protect the EMAIL ARCHIVES page to be viewed only by logged in members of a certain role?

My initial reading of the documentation on secondary nav, hadn’t convinced me this is the way to go, but I am not sure about that.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Again, the site is at staging1.hardyness.com

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Can you take a look at this plugin and see if this is what you are looking for?
    https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/if-menu/

Let me know ๐Ÿ™‚

Mark

Hi Leo,

Thanks for getting back to me. Let me experiment with the plugin for a while and I will get back to you. I’m not sure it does what I want, as I would like to have all users be able to view the home page, and even the “Program” pages. However, on each program pages, I would like certain areas (maybe it is links or pages) to only be visible if that user logs in (for that program.)

I will experiment to see if this does the trick.

Thanks,

mark

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

However, on each program pages, I would like certain areas (maybe it is links or pages) to only be visible if that user logs in (for that program.)

In that case you’d need a plugin like this:
    https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/wp-members/

Mark

Thanks again. I will have a look.

Mark

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.