[Support request] Display last updated date on blog posts

Home Forums Support [Support request] Display last updated date on blog posts

Home Forums Support Display last updated date on blog posts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Rob

Hi,

I’ve looked at about 5 threads on this topic in the GP forums and I’ve tried adding the various different CSS snippets, but no date displays on my blog posts.

I tried adding this CSS:

.posted-on .updated {
    display: block;
    }

And I tried adding this to the php file:

add_action( ‘generate_after_entry_header’, ‘tu_page_meta’ );
    function tu_page_meta() {
    if ( is_singular( ‘page’ ) ) : ?>

<!– .entry-meta –>
    <?php endif;
    }

Nothing that I have tried has worked.

I’ve cleared the cache in my caching plugin and I’ve made sure I’m running the latest version of GP (Version: 3.0.2).

Could you please advise me what I need to do to display the last updated date at the top of the blog post (in form of meta data)?

Thanks.

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi,

Are you aiming for something like this?
    https://share.getcloudapp.com/nOuDx4lJ

If so, you can try adding this code inside a Hook Element:

<span class="modified-date"><?php echo get_the_modified_date('F j, Y, g:i a'); ?></span>

Make sure PHP Execute is enabled and hook the element to generate_before_content and set the display rule location to “post – all posts”.

If what you want is to move the entire entry meta line (including author, categories etc.) on top of the entry title, you can try Leo’s suggestion here:
    https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/move-date-meta-before-post-title/#post-1316964

You then make the date entry-meta to display the last update date by adding this PHP snippet:

add_filter( 'generate_post_date_output', function( $output, $time_string ) {
        $time_string = '<time class="entry-date published" datetime="%1$s" itemprop="datePublished">%2$s</time>';

if ( get_the_time( 'U' ) !== get_the_modified_time( 'U' ) ) {
            $time_string = '<time class="entry-date updated-date" datetime="%3$s" itemprop="dateModified">Last Updated On %4$s</time>';
        }

$time_string = sprintf( $time_string,
            esc_attr( get_the_date( 'c' ) ),
            esc_html( get_the_date() ),
            esc_attr( get_the_modified_date( 'c' ) ),
            esc_html( get_the_modified_date() )
        );

return sprintf( '<span class="posted-on">%s</span> ',
            $time_string
        );
    }, 10, 2 );

A wise man once said:
    "Have you cleared your cache?"

Rob

Hi, thanks for that. I followed your instructions and had some success but it’s not exactly what I’m after:

Date modified meta data

The words “Last updated on” are immediately before the author’s name, while the date is 3 lines above. Is there a way I can fix this?

Thanks.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

if you want to simply display the Updated Date in the default Post meta then all you require is the snippet provided here:

https://docs.generatepress.com/article/generate_post_date_show_updated_only/

Rob

Thanks. I added this snippet to my CSS:

add_filter( ‘generate_post_date_show_updated_only’, ‘__return_true’ );

But it still isn’t showing the words ‘Last Updated’:
    https://robpowellbizblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Last_Updated.jpg

How can I include the words ‘Last Updated’?

Thanks in advance.

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

If you’re using the snippet from David’s link, we can add in ‘Last Updated’: with this PHP snippet:

add_filter( 'generate_post_date_output','tu_add_to_post_date' );
    function tu_add_to_post_date( $output ) {
        return '<span class="updated-date-label">Last Updated: </span>' . $output;
    }

A wise man once said:

Rob

Thanks, I implemented that, but it placed the words ‘Last Updated’ in the wrong place:

last updated

Is there another solution I can try?

Thanks.

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Thanks, I implemented that, but it placed the words ‘Last Updated’ in the wrong place:

Looking at your screenshot, it doesn’t seem like you’re using David’s code. Or maybe you do but you’re using it along all the other codes. If this is the case, please use only 1 among our suggestions.

If you’re using the Hook Element from one of my suggestions, please edit this code:

<span class="modified-date"><?php echo get_the_modified_date('F j, Y, g:i a'); ?></span>

to this:
    <span class="updated-date-label">Last Updated: </span><span class="modified-date"><?php echo get_the_modified_date('F j, Y, g:i a'); ?></span>

A wise man once said:

Rob

Hi Elvin,

Thanks for that. I changed the Hook Element, as you suggested and the ‘last updated’ message now displays properly (top line of text).

But I have another ‘Last Updated’ piece of text immediately before the author name:

Is there a way I can remove that 2nd ‘last updated’ text?

I’m now using only 2 hook elements:

This is the content of the 1st hook:

And this is the content of the 2nd hook:

I was using some CSS code that was referenced in GP forums, but I’ve now removed that.

Can you suggest any edits so as to remove ‘last updated’ before the author name?

Thanks.

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Rob,

You could try this CSS to hide it:

.single .updated-date-label {
        display: none;
    }

Let me know 🙂

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Alternative to @Ying’s solution which would surely work, you can remove this previous snippet you’ve added to remove the 2nd Last Updated: added to the page.

add_filter( 'generate_post_date_output','tu_add_to_post_date' );
    function tu_add_to_post_date( $output ) {
        return '<span class="updated-date-label">Last Updated: </span>' . $output;
    }

A wise man once said:

Rob

Thanks, Ying!

Rob

Thanks, Elvin – it’s working 🙂

Just one last question: is there some CSS code I can use to hide the time stamp?:

Many thanks.

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

You can change this code:
    <span class="updated-date-label">Last Updated: </span><span class="modified-date"><?php echo get_the_modified_date('F j, Y, g:i a'); ?></span>

to this:
    <span class="updated-date-label">Last Updated: </span><span class="modified-date"><?php echo get_the_modified_date('F j, Y'); ?></span>

We basically just change the format inside get_the_modified_date() from 'F j, Y, g:i a' to 'F j, Y' to remove the time.

A wise man once said:

Rob

Great, thanks for that – it worked!

All good,

Rob

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.