[Resolved] Different width only single post

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Different width only single post

Home Forums Support Different width only single post

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Lewis

Hey Leo,

Yeah, you can choose between two options, but that doesn’t actually give you much flexibility. Full width headers look awful in most cases, and the other options ties you to the container setting anyway.

It’s not much of a choice :/

Would be great if you could have add a separate control. Like, an actual slider for width value.

And maybe the solution isn’t quite as simple as that, because some pages may require a wider container than others (archive vs single post, for example).

Forcing a single container width across your entire site is nice in theory, but it doesn’t always work out that way.

I’m a big advocate of GP and I’ve spent enough hours configuring/using it to understand how it works. For me, there aren’t too many holes the theme but this is certainly one of them.

Please don’t overlook this.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

The header width request is definitely the first I’ve seen so I don’t think it’s worth an extra option – especially it can be done with 3 lines of CSS for users that might want it.

Please keep in mind that we try to add options that have been requests a lot and useful for majority of the users ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for the suggestion and we will definitely consider it if more requests show up.

In the mean time let me know if I can help with CSS solution.

Thanks!

Lewis

Leo,

It’s not really about header width, it’s about content width on different pages of your site. I’m just suggesting a possible solution that may not even be ideal.

Let’s say I set a container width for my site at 1100px.

That’s great for my home page because I have a sidebar. It’s not too stretched.

But then for my blog archive/category pages, I don’t have a sidebar, so I want to bring that down to 900px so it doesn’t look so wide.

And what then if I want my actual content (single post/page) to have even less width. Let’s say 750px to make it nice and readable, but I don’t want to reduce the width of my header any further?

How is that possible with 3 lines of CSS? I don’t believe it’s quite as easy as you’re making out, but I’d love to be proven wrong.

While this is all hypothetical, it actually isn’t. I’ve had to deal with similar scenarios on more than one occasion and I just feel like GP doesn’t have my back.

Don’t look at my individual feature requests, because I don’t necessarily know the best solution. Look at the PROBLEM I’m trying to solve.

Hope you understand where I’m coming from.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

So basically you’re wanting a separate width slider for your inner content, while using no sidebars?

It can be achieved with a couple lines of code:

.single .inside-article,
    .page .inside-article {
        max-width: 750px;
        margin: 0 auto;
    }

.single = posts
    .page = pages

So not 3 lines, but 4.

I wouldn’t be totally opposed to an option, but it really hasn’t come up a lot (although I agree, it looks better when no sidebars are set). Having two separate width options could also be confusing for the average user, which isn’t good.

As I said, not opposed to it at all, but it would have to be done in a way where the code is simple, and the UX isn’t affected.

Will

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I followed your method of making the narrower width and I’m using it on a post with no sidebar and it looks great.

What I wanted to ask is how to get the comment section for that post to fit the same width as the post.

Right now the comment section follows the same overall width of the main container. But I’d also like it to be max-width: 750px for that particular post. Is that possible?

Thanks very much.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

here is another method that targets any post / pages without sidebar and reduces the width including the comments:

https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/change-container-on-full-width-posts-only/#post-815307

Will

Thanks very much for the quick reply. I like that method too, except that it won’t center the post, it leaves it left-aligned. I left a comment over on that thread.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Would you be able to raise a new topic, where you can use the Site URL field to provide a private link to your site?

Will

I fixed the issue. Sorry, got stuck between two threads. Happy to make a new thread though if you think it might be helpful for other people.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Nope all good – saw the other topic. And glad to see you got it resolved ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.