[Support request] Different fonts for different languages – but not using any multilingual plugin

Home Forums Support Different fonts for different languages – but not using any multilingual plugin

• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 11 months ago by Tom.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Rachel

Hi,

I have a website with both English and Chinese font in the same paragraph and I’d like to use a different font for each language. I wanted Nunito for English and NotoSans for Chinese. I’ve been trying the following in my CSS:

@font-face {
      font-family: 'NotoSans';
      src: url('fonts/chinese/NotoSansCJKtc-Thin.otf') format('opentype');
      font-weight: 200;
      unicode-range: U+4E00-U+9FFF, U+3400-U+4DBF, U+2B740–U+2B81F; /* CJK unicode */
    }

with also –

body { 
      font-family: "NotoSans", "Nunito";
    }

But everything just defaults to NotoSans…

then I tried to update that to:

body { 
      font-family: "NotoSans", inherit;
    }

and everything defaults to Nunito.

Any suggestions besides wrapping certain text blocks in a span?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hmm, wrapping certain text in a <span> element is the only way I can think of, but I don’t have a huge amount of experience with multilingual sites.

I don’t think it’s possible to do it the way you’re outlining above. The one font you’re using would need to support both languages.

Rachel

Thanks, Tom.

Is it possible to remove the Google Font Nunito from WordPress (one that appears in Customizer) and replace it with with a local version of it? Both Noto Sans and Nunito support both languages so I’m wondering if I could uploaded a version with just Latin glyph?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

yes you can serve the fonts locally – this article explains:

https://docs.generatepress.com/article/adding-local-fonts/

Just a though considering Nunito supports both languages, then maybe try serving both of them locally and setting separate unicode-ranges for each

Rachel

Hi David,

Came back to work on your idea – I’m slowly working through it (had a big break..). Thank you for the suggestion. Would it be possible to add a fallback font to it? Like it to fallback to generic Sans-Serif, for example.

PS noticed on site this is made from Vancouver Island?! Where??

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You should be able to add the fallback into the @font-face reference, and in the PHP filter (so they match).

We’re based in Victoria 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.