[Resolved] Demo site gets low speed test score

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Demo site gets low speed test score

Home Forums Support Demo site gets low speed test score

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Eyal

Hi,

We’re building a new site aiming to get to a score of 100 on both mobile and desktop. To that end we built a new wp install with generatepress demo site. The idea was that if we can get a theme with a demo site, which is a simple a site as it gets, to a score of 100, then we can build our content into it from there.

However, the demo site surprisingly only gets the mobile score of 88, which is a none starter for us.

Any thoughts on how to get it to a mobile score of 100?

Much appreciated.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

if i test your site without WP Rocket by adding the ?nowprocket to the URL it actually gets 95 on mobile. Which i would be super happy with.

WP Rocket is dragging the scored down because its CSS optimization needs to set up correctly to stop it generating CLS.

Aside from setting up WP Rocket correctly, or just use its caching, i would recommend loading google fonts locally:

https://docs.generatepress.com/article/adding-local-fonts/

Aside from that, i can’t see any other areas for improvement.

Eyal

Cool will take a look. Do you have a recommendation as to which of your demo sites is likely to get a score of 100 on mobile? I’d rather select from your fastest sites if possible.

Much appreciated!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Not really – the majority are all built with the same plugins.
    The only difference will be the size and number of images they load. But as you will be replacing them anyway, that really makes no difference.

The only other part is the fonts, which you should locally load regardless.

And 95 out of the box with no optimization or page caching is like getting 100 anyway ๐Ÿ™‚

Eyal

Hi David, you said “WP Rocket is dragging the scored down because its CSS optimization needs to set up correctly to stop it generating CLS.”

Any idea what we should do to set it up “correctly”?

Much appreciated:)

Eyal

Hi David,

OK, it seems the starter site serves images from gp site and not from the WP media library. Also, the mobile logo had no dimensions. Fixing these two helped us get to 95-99 on mobile! Respectfully, this is something you guys should fix on your end for all your starter sites. Seems pretty basic to me.

We will also do the local fonts you recommended.

One other issue is this message from Google Speed Insights (see link to screenshot). Any idea why these SVGs on your starter site have no dimensions?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Why would you be keeping the logo and images from the demo content ?

Eyal

To quote my first entry above “…To that end we built a new wp install with generatepress demo site. The idea was that if we can get a theme with a demo site, which is a simple a site as it gets, to a score of 100, then we can build our content into it from there.”

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Regarding image URLs, if we could easily force those images to be downloaded to your site, then we would. Mainly as we don’t want 3rd party requests being made to our server.

But the site importer is not a simple process, it’s probably one of the most complicated features we ever created.
    If there were a simple function that did the above, then we would add it. But there isn’t.
    To do it, would require more code, more security controls, more support and maintenance as we can’t ensure all server/network/wp configs will play nicely. Which is a lot of pain to download an image that the user will ultimately delete…..

If you want a proper benchmark to work from, then ideally you should first delete all of the content that you won’t be using. You will then have you ground zero to work up from.

Eyal

Understood. Much appreciated ๐Ÿ™‚

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You’re welcome !

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.