[Support request] Deactivated entry title is displayed incorrectly with WPML

Home Forums Support [Support request] Deactivated entry title is displayed incorrectly with WPML

Home Forums Support Deactivated entry title is displayed incorrectly with WPML

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Mathias

Unfortunately I discovered another bug with GeneratePress and WPML.

If I deactivate the entry title of a page or post in the “Layout” section below my content, the entry title is still shown on the translated page or post.

As I want my website to look exactly the same in German and English on the frontend this seems to be a bug that has to be fixed. A deactivated entry title should stay deactivated, no matter which language is shown.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Is the content title deactivated in the settings of the translated page/post as well?

Mathias

There is no option for that. WPML only translates the strings an does not appear with a own “page” with settings in the WordPress backend. Therefore I can only choose Layout options on the page itself, which has two languages.

You can reproduce the bug when you install WPML on a WordPress with GeneratePress theme.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Are you using the “Layout” metabox on your individual pages? I’m no WPML expert, but I thought the translated pages are separate pages? For example, when you click the + for your language, it creates a new page for that specific language.

Is that not how you’re using it?

Mathias

Yes, I use the “Layout” metabox on my pages to deactivate the page title.

About WPML:
    No, that’s not how it works. WPML does not create a own individually editable page in the WP backend. It only translates the strings of the original page and the translated page is shown exactly as it is in the other language. Except the entry-title which is no longer deactivated after switching the language…

Are you able to get the WPML plugin and install it so you can see what happens? Its difficult to explain how it works without seeing it in front of you.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I have the WPML plugin – we worked with it quite extensively when developing 1.8, as we made Elements compatible with it. The way I used it was creating copies of pages for each language.

I’ll ask the WPML team to look at this topic – they might be able to shed some light on what’s going on.

Mathias

Did they answer you?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Not yet about this issue – I just sent another email πŸ™‚

Mathias

Hey Tom,

I got a workaround for the entry title problem. I just took an “Layout element” and disabled the title on the english home page – but I had to switch off the WPML translation editor which is built-in in the newest WPML version.

SO: I found the reason why certain options of GeneratePress are not shown on the translated page. You are right, there are 2 ways to translate: Either on an seperate page or with the WPML translation editor. I only use the second way and as this translation editor of WMPL is active it does not copy/duplicate the GeneratePress options.

I tested it with a page and later with an GeneratePress element! The fallback image of the element has to be set by disabling the WPML translation editor and choosing it again on the english version.

So when you are looking after the “bug” … the Translation Editor of WPML seems to be a reason because it does not read out/duplicate/copy the options which are set via GeneratePress (e.g. the Layout metabox). As it is a lot of extra work it would be great if you or WPML could fix this in a future update of GeneratePress or WPML or both.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Awesome! Thanks for letting us know – will definitely help us come up with a fix πŸ™‚

Mathias

You’re welcome! πŸ™‚

Btw: I love your theme – not only for its versatility but also for the great support with fast answers!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Thank you! πŸ™‚

Mathias

Update on this topic – I hope this helps to further develop GeneratePress Premium:

I recently discovered, that GeneratePress elements never “copies” the settings oder chosen options to a translated page, when WPMLs translation editor is used. You have to (!) use the “old” method and configure the element twice: One time for the first language, second time for the second language.

I would be great if Elements would copy/duplicate the chosen settings automatically when I use the translation editor. πŸ˜‰

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

This confused me as well when testing. It seems you need to save the Element after creating it in another language for their copy-once action to copy the existing options.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.