[Support request] Customizer not saving some settings

Home Forums Support [Support request] Customizer not saving some settings

Home Forums Support Customizer not saving some settings

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jaakko Pöntinen

Hi.

When I’m using the customizer for example to change the typography of the site title, I can see all changes I make update as expected in the live view.

Then I hit Save and the page refreshes. The header font is saved but it’s size is not! Nevertheless the value I set it to be is still saved in the customizer – 100px for example. Nudging the size adjust knob instantly pops the header text size back up.

I’ve tried different browsers (IE, Chrome, Firefox) to no avail. I see all changes happen but as I save, most of the properties are lost – but only from view (whether logged in or not), not from the customizer values. This applies at least to colors and font sizes, don’t know what else is affected.

No caching plugins used at this point. No server-enforced cache or gzipping going on.

What’s up with this? 😛 Thank you in advance!

– JP

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Hard to tell without seeing the site.

Can you provide a link?

Jaakko Pöntinen

Hello,

Sorry, the development is taking place in an intranet, no outside access. I hoped you’d seen this and would know to suggest solutions. Our server is running XAMP with no problem whatsoever on the customizer on other installations running GP, just this one instance acting up.

EDIT: What’s stranger yet, some properties do get saved. F.e. the site description color does get saved, whilst the title color does not. I’m working on a child theme of GeneratePress – tried to switch to the parent theme and make changes there – same thing. Other themes do seem to get their changes saved – although I don’t have the time to go through every setting to see if everything works.

EDIT2: MySQL shows, in the table _options, property generate_settings get updated with changing customizer values. So the customizer writes to the DB ok, somehow though WP does not read the values to show to the end user. Here’s the dump from generate_settings (which, again, shows the values that are OK and should be applied to the theme)

a:28:{s:20:"nav_position_setting";s:16:"nav-above-header";s:24:"header_alignment_setting";s:6:"center";s:15:"font_site_title";s:16:"Playfair Display";s:20:"site_title_font_size";i:103;s:17:"header_text_color";s:7:"#0a0a0a";s:17:"header_link_color";s:7:"#333333";s:16:"site_title_color";s:7:"#ffffff";s:22:"site_tagline_font_size";i:39;s:18:"site_tagline_color";s:7:"#1ff4df";s:17:"font_site_tagline";s:4:"Arvo";s:24:"site_tagline_font_weight";s:4:"bold";s:22:"site_title_font_weight";s:3:"100";s:27:"navigation_background_color";s:22:"rgba(255,255,255,0.71)";s:33:"navigation_background_hover_color";s:20:"rgba(255,76,76,0.75)";s:35:"navigation_background_current_color";s:22:"rgba(255,132,132,0.75)";s:21:"navigation_text_color";s:7:"#282828";s:27:"navigation_text_hover_color";s:7:"#0a0a0a";s:29:"navigation_text_current_color";s:7:"#ffffff";s:20:"navigation_font_size";i:17;s:21:"nav_alignment_setting";s:6:"center";s:22:"navigation_font_weight";s:3:"900";s:25:"navigation_font_transform";s:9:"uppercase";s:22:"content_layout_setting";s:13:"one-container";s:24:"content_background_color";s:7:"#cecece";s:14:"layout_setting";s:10:"no-sidebar";s:19:"blog_layout_setting";s:10:"no-sidebar";s:21:"single_layout_setting";s:10:"no-sidebar";s:21:"footer_widget_setting";s:1:"0";}

Thanks for your time, Leo 🙂 Looks like it’s a reinstall then? Do give a shout if you think of something.

– JP

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Can you try disabling all of your other plugins to see if there’s a conflict?

This can happen sometimes if another plugin is also setting font sizes etc..

Jaakko Pöntinen

Hi, Tom.

There is no other plugins on. Also updating on the situation: all instances are affected by this. No matter what computer I use. No matter if it’s a fresh WP with a fresh GP on top. The same settings (f.e. site title color) do not get saved, whilst tagline color does.

– JP

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hmm, if the DB has the correct values, the front end should display them properly.

Without seeing the site (maybe up it to a live server temporarily?), the only thing I can guess is that another element is overwriting the CSS written by the theme.

Jaakko Pöntinen

Heya,

Here’s something, still (If this doesn’t solve it, I’ll migrate the installation for you to look at, though there isn’t much to look – it’s just a fresh WP with a fresh GP):

Overwriting problem shown in inspector

These are all from inspecting the site title. The instance of .main-title with font-size: 109px is the one that’s supposed to be in effect. So, something is overwriting the customized settings but what? I mean… There’s nothing else installed than WP, GP theme and GPP.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Are you using a child theme? If so can you make sure this line is not included? https://docs.generatepress.com/article/child-theme-issues/#import

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.