[Resolved] Customizer connecting to "localhost" for something

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Customizer connecting to "localhost" for something

Home Forums Support Customizer connecting to "localhost" for something

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jaakko Pöntinen

Heya Tom, hope all’s well!

This may or may not be a GP issue, but here goes:

I’ve recently migrated from a localhost installation to a live one. Everything works except GP has lost it’s customized options (Simple CSS has kept it’s information). Also, when using the WP customizer, my browser (Firefox) says: “connecting to localhost”. I’ve searched the database for any references to localhost and there is none.

What can I do?

– Jaakko Pöntinen

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

How did you do the migration? Sounds like something became corrupted along the way.

Have you tried a plugin like this?: https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

Jaakko Pöntinen

Just did a raw copy of my files and imported the database, then manually changed urls from wp-config and did a search-n-replace of the database.

Now updated: everything works! 🙂 For some reason, %localhost% did NOT get all the instances of localhost from the DB search through phpmyadmin. I used a plugin called “Velvet Blues Update URLs” and everything was up’n running again. Except some GP settings did not get restored. But some did. Menu typography stopped working, for instance. I used Google Fonts for that.

Don’t know what’s going on, there’s so much to WP and all this database and php stuff that it just blows my mind right outta the water.

But it works as well as I want it to now, hope this little bit of manual import labour doesn’t spawn some crazy souped up problems in the long run…

Naah that never happens. Thanks!

– Jaakko Pöntinen

Jaakko Pöntinen

That duplicator thing sure looks appetizing, it’s not mentioned in the Codex, though. Moving WordPress. I’m kind of befuddled now, why go though the techy stuff so that you can do it all with a few clicks.

Not that I mind a few clicks but now my local installation is corrupted by me trying to make the mysql dump work, having forgotten the sql password and then trying to find out how to reset it only to find out that my mysqld.exe wont run and that there’s this crazy windows error that pops up when i try to start the mysql service from services and then i try to create a new password and user via Webmatrix only to end up in losing connection and the password to even the database which Webmatrix previously automatically accessed when running my local site.

Just crazy. I tried to troubleshoot the not-running mysqld.exe but the answers went so much beyond what I know that it was just like this endless swamp of half-correct questions asked by others and read-and-half-understood-answers.

Why can’t I export a database from Webmatrix when I’m looking at the damn thing? It just boggles the mind. Why should it ever not be so simple?

It’s a plot, I tell you. A plot. Against me.

Raaaagh rant rant rant rant

– JP

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Dealing with databases and moving files etc.. can be a pain for sure.

That’s why I typically use Duplicator even though I know how to do it manually – the plugin does it all for you which just makes life easier 🙂

Jaakko Pöntinen

Thanks for the advice 🙂

I’m kind of bummed I did things the way I did, but it’s too late now – my localhost installation is done for. At least for me.

Now there’s a weird bug in the customizer that makea the page refresh over and over. I think it’s the ‘Theme my Login’ plugin, but it didn’t give me any hassle on localhost.

I don’t like it when things go to poop 🙁

Now sleep… nightmares of a database can eating me.

– JP

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

What happened to your localhost? Exporting the database shouldn’t mess anything up.

Jaakko Pöntinen

Ok, here goes.

I followed the Codex’ instructons (Changing Your Domain Name and URLs). I didn’t go into MySQL to export my database because I knew I had forgotten the DB password. I used a backup plugin to make a DB and file dump.

Next thing is to change the site/home URL of the WP installation and hit save, which naturally breaks the site in the old location.

Then comes the magical step: “Export your database again”. How? My site’s broken and changing the URLs back by editing Config and then dumping the DB with a plugin won’t help a damn thing since it’s not stored with the changed URLs but would just be the old DB again.

At this point is started to experiment with mysql directly, using mysqldump. Well, remember the part of the lost DB password? Ok, then I tried to follow Resetting Permissions to no avain. Mysqld either hangs or does nothing with the script provided. Also the MySQL service from services gives an error when I try to start it manually.

Still, Microsoft Webmatrix can load and handle databases. Ok. Maybe I’ll take a look there. (Note that I also cannot import the old database at this point, Webmatrix doesn’t give an option for such foolishness). Then I tried to make a new database connection by guessing what I’ve used as DB pass, which screwed up the existing credentials to the database.

And here I am. Just totally beaten. Following the Codex. And all I would have needed was Duplicator. Bah.

– Jaakko Pöntinen

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

So setting your site url in wp-config.php doesn’t allow you to re-enter your localhost and use duplicator?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.