[Resolved] Custom Sidebars compatibility issue

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Custom Sidebars compatibility issue

Home Forums Support Custom Sidebars compatibility issue

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Henry

Hi,

I was looking for a theme, easy to customise and read a lot about GeneratePress(GP). Finally I decided to give it a try and installed your theme in my development environment.

After several days of customisation, I noticed that my original widgets were some how corrupted, they didn’t appeared any more ont the front site and the Sidebar were replaced by some other kind of widgets.

Well, I thought it was not a big deal so I tried to solve the issue and in my effort, I accidentally deleted/lost all the work of those days. That’s ok, I managed to get everything back but now I don’t want to make the same misstake.

So I’m asking you, is there a way to install the GP theme without messing up my original widgets and other information already in the database? Is GP only appropriate for the development of websites from scratch?

Currently I use “Custom Sidebars” from WPMU DEV and WPML.

Thank you in advance. Keep the good work up.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Different themes have different widget areas so you might need to re-add the widgets when GeneratePress is activated.

Let me know if this helps 🙂

Henry

Not, it doesn’t. I already did that before. Thank you but it doesn’t help.

What I need, is to know the details on what you do with the database (the widgets area in particular) when I install the theme. Perhaps I could do some changes in the code before installing.

Henry

Do you really need to install separate Sidebars that are so different of the standard wp sidebars?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

GeneratePress doesn’t do anything to your widgets when you install the theme – it lets WordPress handle the widgets 100%.

When you change themes, WordPress does its best to preserve your widgets, but it’s not perfect as the widget areas change (as Leo pointed out above).

I’m not too sure what you mean by install separate Sidebars – can you explain a bit more?

Henry

Hi,

You are right, there are not such Sidebars but widget areas that installs with the GP theme (Sidfotswidget 1, etc).

Certainly there is an incompatibility with the “Custom Sidebars” plugin from WPMU DEV.

Now I decided to change the behaviour of the above plugin with the “Content Aware Sidebars” plugin and it seems to work better with the GP theme. What I see is that the WP Theme Customizer doesn’t responds anymore while trying to change the widget padding in Layout > Sidebars. So I’m customising the entire design with CSS instead in a Child theme. I will also need to setup the widgets with different languages for the new Sidebars again, it looks like.

Thank you anyway for your prompt response and the documentation in your website, which I think is great.

Best,
    Henry

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

The widget padding should respond in the Customizer – nothing happens at all when you change those values?

Let me know 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.