[Support request] Custom Post Type Template/Elements/Custom Fields

Home Forums Support [Support request] Custom Post Type Template/Elements/Custom Fields

Home Forums Support Custom Post Type Template/Elements/Custom Fields

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Laura

I’m struggling with the correct strategy to accomplish the following. I’d appreciate your guidance.

I want to create Company Profiles with say 20 different sections which a company can edit on the front end not in WordPress.
    This is what I have so far:
    1. Custom Post Type: Company Profile
    2. Custom Fields 1-20 via ACF
    3. Via ACF have assigned those custom fields to the Custom Post Type “Company Profile”.
    4. Gravity Form (editable front end) which maps to the 1-20 custom fields above – accomplishes company being able to edit their data outside of WP interface.

So, now I’m stuck on how best to display those custom fields and make them look pretty on that custom post type. I’ve read much of your documentation and watched videos on templates, elements (hooks, blocks and elements). I have GP Premium and GP Blocks Pro. I’ve played with the dynamic data population. But I’m stuck on:
    1. How to build the Company Profile layout (CPT Company Profile) using the custom fields data and
    2. How to style those elements.
    Am I on the right track if I:
    1. Create Elements > Blocks > populate the blocks with the custom field data? If so, how am I getting the custom field data into the blocks? I have ACF Pro but shortcodes only support basic text blocks and I have checkboxes, radio buttons, range, WSYWIG content and other types.
    2. Assuming that works, style these to look nice with the style tools on the right, I understand that part thanks to your excellent videos.
    3. Assign the blocks to the correct custom post type Company Profile in location display.

But how do you organize/design the page nicely like your Site Library templates if you go this route (if that route even makes sense). I’m not using a page builder. I’m comfortable designing a page with blocks, but I’m missing how to put the pieces together. Am I building Elements > Blocks and then inserting the blocks into a post and then making that a template somehow? I doubt that makes sense. I am just not getting how to put it all together πŸ™‚

Thanks so much in advance.

Laura

Update: I’ve just installed Elementor. It looks like
    1. I need to create a template for the custom post type
    2. It looks not very visually friendly without something like Elementor Theme builder.

Does this seem like a reasonable path to take if I don’t want to create a template single-customposttype.php and mess with css and js? Seems like using Elementor to create the template would be easier and come out looking better.

Am I correct that a template must be created for the custom post type?

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Laura,

This is quite a feature beyond the control of the theme but to help you out:

1. How to build the Company Profile layout (CPT Company Profile) using the custom fields data and

2. How to style those elements.
    Am I on the right track if I:
    1. Create Elements > Blocks > populate the blocks with the custom field data? If so, how am I getting the custom field data into the blocks? I have ACF Pro but shortcodes only support basic text blocks and I have checkboxes, radio buttons, range, WSYWIG content and other types.

To clarify: You’re trying to display the custom field data?

If that’s the case then you can use Block Element – Content Template and fetch + display the dynamic data value through a GenerateBlocks’ Headline block. Selecting “Post Terms” will display an field you can type ACF slug on.

Repeat this process for every custom field for the Company profile. πŸ˜€

2. Assuming that works, style these to look nice with the style tools on the right, I understand that part thanks to your excellent videos.

Anything beyond the UI can be styled using custom CSS. But yes, generally, GenerateBlocks is enough. πŸ™‚

3. Assign the blocks to the correct custom post type Company Profile in location display.

Block Elements have display rule location option where you can pick the custom post type to apply the content template you’ll be making. πŸ˜€

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.