[Support request] custom homepage template?

Home Forums Support [Support request] custom homepage template?

Home Forums Support custom homepage template?

• This topic has 12 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Tom.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    horst

dear GP-team,

i am new to this theme, but after a trial period i recently bought the premium add-ons. great stuff. thanks. i am now trying to get to know this theme and how it works.

i want to switch to the GP theme on a website i developed, and therefor need a special home-page layout.
    have a look: http://www.esskultur.at – this is the final state, i want to build with GP.

layout now: featured post. underneath: recent posts in the left column, second/middle column shows posts with a special taxonomy (or a registered home-sidebar) and on the right side a sidebar.

is there a way to to change the second column of your blog-layout via hooks, or is it better to write a new template for a child-theme? alternatively i could use content/sidebar/sidebar, but then i would need the featured post to be inserted over the first an second sidebar.

but anyway perhaps a custom template is the way to go, because i want to show only sidebar on all the other archive pages.

any help is appreciated! thanks, horst

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Are you able to link us to what you currently have so far using GP?

horst

hi leo, thanks for replying!
    i am sorry, though this is an online site, i am developing locally. thats why i tried to explain above, but perhaps it was a bit confusing.
    i built two layouts, one with content/sidebar/sidebar and another using featured post, two columns and a sidebar. so only halfway there, with both layouts.
    i could post screensshots, if it helps, or you tell me some other trick, to get this acomplished!
    thanks, best, horst

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

is there a way to to change the second column of your blog-layout via hooks

What would you like to change it to? Right now you either have it displaying posts in a column, or a sidebar, correct?

horst

thanks tom,

you are right.

if i use the GP layout content/sidebar1/sidebar2 i would need a featured post to be displayed above first and second column.

something like:
    featured post /sidebar2
    posts 2-x/sidebar1/sidebar2(continued)

other option: i use GP layout posts in 2 columns (here i can display a featured post above) and only one sidebar, i would need the second column of posts to display a certain taxonomy.

featured post (1) /sidebar
    posts 2-x/post column (special taxonomy)/sidebar (continued)

i hope its clearer now, sorry for being perhaps confusing. it should work with a custom front-page template. if there is an easier way, i am happy to hear. (but i think, i will need help even with the custom front-page template)

thanks a lot, horst

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I think you might need a custom page template for that.

To show the second column as a different set of posts, you would need to set up a different loop.

Perhaps look into using a plugin like WP Show Posts to display two separate lists of posts in two separate columns?

horst

hi tom,

its me again. thanks for your answer. i tried a little bit of css-tweaking with my first option:

content (i.e. posts)/sidebar-left/sidebar-right

.home article:first-child  { width: 180%}

#left-sidebar {
    margin-top: 310px;
    }

sofar it works somehow, the first post is wider and the sidebar-left starts after the post. problem: ideally the sidebar-left should start exactly after the featured (two columns wide) first post (which can have different heights, depending on paragraphs etc.)

i am thankful for every tipp, before i start to set-up a custom homepage-template. if i can accomplish without, it would be better, of course.

i could make a little graphic scheme, if it helps. its perhaps easier to understand, what i try to describe in words.

thanks again for your help, horst

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Do you have a link to what you’ve set up so far so I can check it out?

Thanks!

horst

hi tom,

no, i am sorry, i am developing on my local machine. i only could send you the code, if this helps. (just tell me, where to send it)

let me know. best, horst

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Since it’s custom code, I would have to see the actual website I’m afraid.

Any chance you can throw it up on a staging server?

horst

ok tom, i try to do so. will take some time. but i come back ๐Ÿ˜‰

in the meanwhile: is there a hook after the first (featured) post, where i could hook in the sidebar?

i made a simple layout-scheme, perhaps its easier to understand like that. i think not a tough thing to do, only if i knew how ๐Ÿ˜‰ (if it works with wp-show posts pro-plugin, i am fine!)

scheme

thanks, horst

horst

i just managed to create a second loop and insert it via hooks.

problem: to achieve the layout as i tried to sketch above, my code should be hooked in right after

<div id="content" class="site-content">

but when i use the hook “inside-content-container” the code will bes inserted after

<main id="main" class="site-main">

this would be the most simple way to get the layout, i would like.

thanks again, horst

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You can try this hook: generate_inside_container

add_action( 'generate_inside_container', 'tu_add_inside_container' );
    function tu_add_inside_container() {
    ?>
        Your code in here
    <?php
    }
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.