[Support request] Custom Editable Content Boxes

Home Forums Support [Support request] Custom Editable Content Boxes

Home Forums Support Custom Editable Content Boxes

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Stefan

Hey there,
    I used GP in the free Version for a while and just bought the Premium. It’s a really great theme.

Usually I try to work with hooks and templates to customize my websites. But now I build a client website with GP and I like to add some Content Boxes similar to those on the image below. The boxes itself are not the problem but I want to make it easy editable for the customer. So that he can change the image or the text and so on.

Content Boxes

I don’t want to use any plugin so I was wondering what is the best way achieving that. Custom fields or Widgets or anything else?

Best regards,
    Stefan

GeneratePress 2.1.3
    GP Premium 1.6.2
    David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Stefan,

i know you don’t want to use a plugin but personally i would use WP Show Posts plugin.
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-show-posts/

It does exactly that for posts and pages. And its one of Tom’s plugins 🙂

Stefan

Hi David,
    thanks for your reply.
    As far as I understand this plugin pulls in post data but I just need simple text and image editing at the moment.

And I’m very interested in doing it with plain code. What are my options with wordpress beside PlugIns to do this kind of things?
    1. Shortcodes
    2. Custom fields
    3. Custom Widgets

Anything else?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Stefan,

WPSP can pull in from Pages and Posts. So the alternatives:

simplest method without using a CPT is to add WP Custom Fields for each of your elements and then output them via a hook or a shortcode.

Stefan

Hello David,
    it’s a page for a company so they just need to put in some industry specific information. CPT would be a little too much I think

Ok I see. CF’s are the way to go, thanks.

Just one more question. I’ve read that CF’s were originally designed to express simple things like a mood or so and now it gets kind of misused. Are there any problems with this approach regarding websitespeed or something else?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

I think it makes sense for the user.
    Originally yes it was just additional meta-data. But it has been extended by plenty of developers like the Meta Box plugin. So can’t see there being any performance issues.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.