[Support request] Custom Design for your Category Pages

Home Forums Support [Support request] Custom Design for your Category Pages

Home Forums Support Custom Design for your Category Pages

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jamie

Hey GeneraterPress community,

I’ve been searching Google for what feels like hours and I can’t find a reasonable solution for any wordpress theme!

I currently use GeneratePress Pro and Elementor to design my site.

I want to completely redesign a new custom Category page using GP & Elementor, so I can add additional widgets to the page such as CTAs and other content related to the category, and not just a list of previously published posts.

I know there are some settings within customize>blog from GeneratePress Pro, but the controls here are more about what to display (like full post vs. exerpt), rather than the actual design itself.

Does anyone here know how I can do this?!?!

I’d really appreciate your input.

Cheers, Jamie.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Do you have any example designs of what you’re trying to achieve?

Let me know 🙂

Jamie

Hey Tom,

I hope you’re well!

Yes, so here’s a snippet of what my articles look like on my homepage

https://s26.postimg.org/vd57j8bl5/Screen_Shot_2017-09-14_at_22.21.07.png

For my category page where WordPress pulls all the published posts into a single view, I want it to look the same (or similar) to this screenshot, except there’d be more posts!

The default category page looks like this… Not very sexy at all lol.

https://s26.postimg.org/nzuey0gx5/Screen_Shot_2017-09-14_at_22.32.11.png

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

To make it the exact same, you would need to use the same tools to build them.

One thing you can do is set up 301 redirects from the core category archives to static pages which you can build manually.

Otherwise you would need to do some pretty heavy programming to match the design.

Jamie

Hmmm, that could work. I wonder if there’s any SEO implications with this.

I’m surprised it’s not a topic talked about more to be honest, unless generally people don’t bother with proper categorisations etc.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

The Elementor crowd talks about it a lot – I’m sure they’ll come up with a solution.

Redirects aren’t great, but 301 redirects are the most SEO friendly out of all of them.

You could also create your own category-slug.php template files, and replace the loop with your E shortcode.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.