[Resolved] Creating a logical site structure

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Creating a logical site structure

Home Forums Support Creating a logical site structure

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Alana

Hi,

Right now I have my site set-up like this (seen in the primary navigation):
    1. Home (page)
    2. Destinations (category) w/ further sub-categories
    3. Travel Smarter (category)
    4. About (page)
    5. Contact (page)

I read that setting up categories to create structure for the site is not a good idea because many of my posts may have multiple categories. According to the article – “when categories are used as “sections,” you can no longer use them as amorphous groupings as you’ll likely want to restrict the number of categories you assign to a single post to avoid the aforementioned issues.”

I want to set up a good, workable structure for my site at the outset to avoid issues as it grows. Can you please help me with some guidance as to how I can do so using GeneratePress?

Thanks a lot!
    Alana

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Your site is under coming soon page so we can’t see.

That being said, I don’t see any issues with your current structure.

What did that article suggest then?

There isn’t any special structures you should be using with GP.

Alana

I’ve turned that mode off for now so you should be able to view, thanks 🙂

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hmm so same suggestion as before, I don’t see any issues with that structure.

The only thing I see is that the parent menu item “Destinations” should be a custom link:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/using-the-wordpress-menu-builder/#custom-link

Alana

Thanks for looking! Is it the case that parent menu items are always custom links? So if the section for “Travel Smarter” has further subcategories that I add at a later date, should it also become a custom link at that time?

I’m trying to think about my site structure and create logical “silos” for seo and user purposes. I’m concerned that some later posts will be contained within both “Destinations” and “Travel Smarter.” Should this then affect the organization and the type (custom link vs. category vs. page)? And if so, in what way?

I think I still have a lot to learn on when I want to use a custom link vs. category vs. page. Any insights would be appreciated, thanks again!

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Usually parent menu items are custom links as people don’t normally click on them.

I’m not an export in SEO so can’t really comment on what happens when the certain posts contain both categories. I don’t think it will matter very much.

The theme itself doesn’t interfere with anything like that – things like categories/tags are all handled by WordPress itself.

You can change the structure at a later date if you find a better way as well.

Alana

Thanks Leo, where do the custom links typically direct the user? Since I won’t have too many posts to start I was thinking that all the “Destinations” posts would show up both under “Destinations” and under their specific regional category. I’ll try to learn more as I work on this. I’m attempting to get a good structure in place to avoid huge overhauls in the future.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Custom links direct the user to whatever you put in as the link.

Our Help and Account menu items are using custom links.

Alana

Thanks Leo! Have a great weekend; I appreciate your help!!

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

No problem 🙂

You as well!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.