[Support request] content boxes

Home Forums Support [Support request] content boxes

Home Forums Support content boxes

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mike

I search and search and can not find the answer to the problem with content boxes. (I really have no idea what I am doing?) I find this everywhere:.content-box-yellow {
    margin: 0 0 25px;
    overflow: hidden;
    padding: 20px;
    }
    I put that in the child theme, and nothing happens at all, and I would rather have it in the child theme. However, I put it the custom css and it works when I use the div tags.

This is the next real problem: after I have been out of the editor for several hours, the site comes up as an entirely white screen. (on several browsers and using screenfly).

All I need to do is open the backend up, and click on anything what so ever, and the site is live again.

I doubt that it’s a problem with GP, but I am wondering if you could tell me I am going wrong?

Thanks

GP Premium 1.6.2
    David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

first problem – i can see .content-box-blue and .content-box-mint being used in your markup, but no .content-box-yellow – if you wrap the content like so then the code will work:

<div class="content-box-yellow">
    your markup
    </div>

The second problem, i cannot see any issues on your site loading. Does the screen come up blank on the front end?

Mike

I’m sorry, I am often changing the content boxes in the custom css, looking for something different to happen. The content bxes code works fine, like they should…except

After I’ve been out of the editor for several hours and come back to the site it is a white screen (like overnight every night). not the backend, the front end.

That’s the problem I cant figure out. If I take the code out, it doesn’t happen

Thanks

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

So the code is being added to a Child theme style sheet? Is this the only code being added to the child theme?

Mike

no ( or very little ) code will work in the GeneratePress Child: style.css

This is in Appearance > Customize > Additional CSS:

.sidebar li {
    border-bottom: 1px dotted #008EC2;
    }
    .main-navigation {
    border-bottom-style: solid;
    border-bottom-color: #333333;
    border-bottom-width: 2px;

}
    .entry-content a {
    text-decoration: underline;
    }

.post {
    border-bottom: 1px solid #b0b0b0;
    }

blockquote {
    background: #f6f6f6;
    border-left: 3px solid #6DBC00;
    margin: 1.5em 10px;
    padding: 1em 10px;
    quotes: none
    }
    blockquote:before {
    color: #009092;
    content: open-quote;
    font-size: 4em;
    line-height: 0.1em;
    margin-right: 0.25em;
    vertical-align: -0.4em;
    }
    blockquote p {
    display: inline;
    }
    /* Content Boxes
    ———————————————————— */

.content-box-blue,
    .content-box-gray,
    .content-box-green,
    .content-box-purple,
    .content-box-red,
    .content-box-yellow{
    margin: 0 0 25px;
    overflow: hidden;
    padding: 20px;
    }

.content-box-blue {
    background-color: #d8ecf7;
    border: 1px solid #afcde3;
    }

.content-box-gray {
    background-color: #e2e2e2;
    border: 1px solid #bdbdbd;
    }

.content-box-green {
    background-color: #d9edc2;
    border: 1px solid #b2ce96;
    }

.content-box-purple {
    background-color: #e2e2f9;
    border: 1px solid #bebde9;
    }

.content-box-red {
    background-color: #f9dbdb;
    border: 1px solid #e9b3b3;
    }

.content-box-yellow {
    background-color: #fef5c4;
    border: 1px solid #fadf98;
    }

Thanks
    Mike Mahaffey

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Before we look at the White Screen as being Child theme related can you check the PHP memory you have set up? Let me know

Mike

I haven’t a clue how to check PHP memory at this moment. However, I am on it. I shall return when I find the answer.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Might be simplest to check with your host, and if an issue then ask them to increase it. Recommend a minimum of 128mb (more the better). Also ask them what PHP version you are running. Should be 7.0.

If both are met and issue still persists then it could be child theme related.

Mike

I installed this plugin: Server IP & Memory Usage Display

and get this:Memory: 43.25 of 128 MB (34%) | WP LIMIT: 40 MB | IP 127.0.0.1 (h186) | PHP 5.6.33-1~dotdeb+7.1 @64BitOS

If that’s not the answer, I will dig deeper. But first you need to know this info:

Here’s how it happened: The site has had GP premium on it for several months with no problem that I was aware of. I changed the theme to Genesis, and a studio press theme, and the problem started.

I re-installed GP P with the same results, so that whatever the problem is I do not say it’s connected to GP child theme, because I have no idea at all what’s going on.

The site is hosted at Wealthy Affiliate, through Amazon, and I have no cpannel and have not found anyone who knows how I might correct the problem. Especially not WA. I have hosting elsewhere, and if I thought it to be a hosting problem I would merely move the thing.

Thank you
    Mike Mahaffey

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

A white screen is usually:

a) PHP memory limit being reached (as David said)
    b) A PHP fatal error. You can ask your hosting company to check the error_log file for recent errors.

Mike

Thanks,

And If you would answer ONLY one more question, I would be through with this one way or the other.

If I backup my site and move it to inmotion hosting or siteground, will I be backing up the problems and taking them with me?

And I really want to thank you Tom and David for helping me

Mike Mahaffey

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

It really depends on what’s causing the error.

If it’s server related, then switching servers would fix it.

However, if there’s an error somewhere in your child theme or plugins, then you’ll bring it along with you.

The error_log file should shed more light on what’s going on.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.