[Resolved] Confused about Featured Image size and upload

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Confused about Featured Image size and upload

Home Forums Support Confused about Featured Image size and upload

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mehmet Akif Kaban

Hello,
    I set my container size to 1200.
    I want my featured image sizes to be all same and When I make any post grid, I want them to be shown flawlessly.
    What image dimension should I use on featured images?
    Currently, the situation is:
    When I upload any pic it reduces the image height to 800, keeps the ratio of original height and width(for instance 1.5:1) , and shows accordingly.
    For all pictures to be shown in the same size, do I have to resize them before uploading so that all of them are shown in the same size and same height to width proportion?
    Thank you.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

yes it is advisable to upload all images as the same size. Select an image width that fits you’re greatest requirement. e.g in the main content (container minus sidebar) of your posts the width is 800px.

Mehmet Akif Kaban

Thanks for the info,
    I want to use the right sidebar and content style.
    What is the recommended container-sidebar size that is good for also 1366×768 resolution?
    Let’s say I stick with my current setting 800 content – 400 sidebar.
    IF I change it later(900-300 maybe), My images alter automatically to the new design right?
    Thank you.
    Sorry I am WP noob ๐Ÿ™‚

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

OK, so 800px is a good content width as after padding the width would be around 720 – 760px which creates a nice reading width for paragraphs of text.

For image sizes, you can upload a larger image. If you’re not thinking about full screen width images then 1200px is good. For full width you may need to head towards 1920 – 2400px wide.

When uploading images to WordPress, it automatically creates what are called srcset image sizes : Thumbnail (default 150px), Medium (default: 300px) and Large (default 1024px). WP will use the size that is most appropriate to its needs.

Also GP has its own resizer for featured images, you can adjust the featured image sizes for Posts / Pages and Archives separately in the Customiser > Layout > Blog. Or leave them as the default Auto but always better to have a larger image that can scale down.

So if you’re thinking you may want to display the images larger, say in a GP Page Header then go for 1200px ๐Ÿ˜‰

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.