[Resolved] Comments: Replace Headline for SEO Reasons

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Comments: Replace Headline for SEO Reasons

Home Forums Support Comments: Replace Headline for SEO Reasons

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    David

Hi there,

I just purchased GeneratePress and I’m really looking forward to relaunching the websites.

I want to follow up a discussion I opened at the WordPress.org forums (https://wordpress.org/support/topic/seo-headline-h1-and-h2/) regarding the headline attribution in the comments section. There are two headlines I want to convert to normal text for SEO reasons.

Tom also marked out that there is no way for a custom function – which definitely would be the preferred way. If someone nevertheless has an idea – please let me know! 🙂

If the child theme way remains, this is where I got stuck:

– If there is a comment: “X Comments for ‘Article X’” (H3) => Found in the comments.php, class=”comments-title”. Change to div / span is easy possible.
    – Every page: “Write a comment” (H3) => Not found in the comments.php – Where to adjust or edit it?

Thanks and best,
    David

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hey David,

That specific text would need you to use a child theme, unfortunately: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/using-child-theme/

Then you would copy the comments.php file from the parent theme, and paste it into your child theme.

Then you can manually change those <h3> elements to whatever you like.

I’m not sure it’s overly worth the hassle, as those <h3> elements certainly shouldn’t hurt your site when it comes to SEO.

Let me know if you need more info 🙂

David

Hi Tom,

thanks for your help.
    I followed your approach and I found the “X Comments for ‘Article X’” headline – in line 44 to 62. But that is the only h3 tag in the whole file. Where to find “Write a comment” (H3)?

Thanks and best,
    David

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You could try this:

add_filter( 'comment_form_defaults', function( $defaults ) {
        $defaults['title_reply_before'] = '<h3 id="reply-title" class="comment-reply-title">';
        $defaults['title_reply_after'] = '</h3>';

return $defaults;
    } );
    David

Hi Tom,

I had to replace the h3‘s in the snippet to p‘s as I wanted to get rid of the headlines. But then the snippet works perfectly.

I also decided to make this the only adjustment as I can configure it via my customs functions plugin. Then I just have one comment h3 which should be perfectly fine. 😉

Thanks and best,
    David

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Awesome, glad I could help 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.