[Support request] Chrome/Firefox: SVGs show no anti-aliasing

Home Forums Support [Support request] Chrome/Firefox: SVGs show no anti-aliasing

Home Forums Support Chrome/Firefox: SVGs show no anti-aliasing

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Carl

Hello,

In the last 24 hours I’ve noticed that of my recent GP site builds the logos (which are SVGs) and the many of the default SVG icons within GeneratePress/GenerateBlocks are all looking very poor, with no smoothing in Chrome and Edge browsers (Firefox though seems fine) on PC.

Is it possible that GeneratePress needs some base CSS tweaks in the future to help render these SVGs so they’re smoother? These are my poor assumptions, not being aware what’s changed with how the browsers are displaying SVGs and aware it may not be directly an issue with GP.

Can happily feedback further info if helps to debug things.

Thanks in advance.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Not something i have noticed, although Chromium browsers are the worst when it comes to SVG rendering. There aren’t many CSS properties that can be applied to an inline SVG ( which GB icons use ). Got any examples i can see ?

Carl

Sure, will include below.

I must have an eagle eye but I noticed it over the last 24 hours or so. Something instantly looked off.

On PC here’s some examples. Firefox then Chrome on PC.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

I can ask one of my PC user colleagues to check, but it looks fine on my mac:

2021-12-03_13-25-51

Carl

Thanks. It works fine for me on iOS devices and Firefox but this change has thrown me.

I don’t know enough about browser updates but assume it’s related to Chromium. Curious if they’ve changed the rendering model. Working out if it’s then a browser bug or it can be altered somehow, as to me it looks really poor.

I appreciate this may not be a direct GP issue.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

I think the first thing to do is to get someone else to check the site on Windows – Leo and Ying will be online soon and they can take a look 🙂

Carl

Perfect. Look forward to hearing how it looks for them too.

If you previously looked at my Emedias.co.uk site, that isn’t built on GeneratePress (though now I’m converted I’m sure it’s only a matter of time) but has the issue too.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Yeah… i checked the source of Emedias. And choose that to point out the theme wasn’t involved lol

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

It seems looking fine on my PC using Chrome and Firefox:
    12.03.2021-10.15.34

Carl

Thanks Ying. When I get back in the office I’m going to boot up another couple of PCs to check if there’s any further clues if browser or OS related.

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

Keep us updated Carl 🙂

Carl

I’ve found the fix and it’s software/GPU related.

I tested on another PC which worked and did a little further testing. Basically some tweaks I had made to the NVIDIA control panel (for my graphics card) related to performance (to aid gaming) then affected those two browsers for how they display SVG graphics!

View post on imgur.com

I had changed the setting from quality to performance BUT on changing it back, on loading up the browsers they then showed the SVGs as they should be!

Apologies for taking up your time. Hopefully this may help the rare person who experiences the same issue!

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

No worries, it’s good for us to know as well 🙂

I’m sure it’ll be useful for somebody.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.