[Resolved] Child Theme Styles not working

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Child Theme Styles not working

Home Forums Support Child Theme Styles not working

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Lynn

Hi there,

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!!!

I am using the generate press wordpress theme with the add on bundle. I manually installed my own child theme. I have been utilizing the add ons to modify fonts and colors, but I would like to alter certain style elements in my css. Some of which are not working — even when I use the !important tag.

I have tested the css file to make sure it is working by changing the background color of the whole body tag to a bright red, this worked like a charm. But when I try to alter the margin below the widget title, nothing changes.

.widget-title {
    margin-bottom: 10px !important;
    }

When I modify it in the developer tools it works, but when I put it in the style sheet there is not change.

My functions.php looks like this:

<?php
    add_action( ‘wp_enqueue_scripts’, ‘theme_enqueue_styles’ );
    function theme_enqueue_styles() {
    wp_enqueue_style( ‘parent-style’, get_template_directory_uri() . ‘/style.css’ );
    }

Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.

bdbrown

Hi Lynn. You don’t need to enqueue the parent style sheet; the theme loads it automatically. First thing to try is removing that function and see if that helps. If not, please post a link to your site so we can take a look at what’s happening. Thanks.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Removing that function should do the trick πŸ™‚

Lynn

Thanks! I will give it a try, I am not able to fiddle with it at this very moment. I was following the wordpress.org instructions on creating a child theme as it was stated that the @import option in the css file is no longer the best practice. Therefore I do not have that in the style sheet. I am assuming I have to add it? I will let you know what happens.

I also might add I am using the page builder by site origin plugin. Are you aware of any issues with this plugin and child themes?

Thank you so much for your quick response. This is a great theme!

Lynn

bdbrown

True, the @import option is no longer recommended. But you don’t need to add it; the theme includes code to load the parent style sheet automatically. I haven’t used Page Builder but would check the plugin website support page or the WP plugin support forum to review any outstanding issues.

Lynn

Hi again, Removing the function had no change on the site. I also deactivated the page builder to see if that was causing issues and nothing changed.

Here is the link — totally in development.

http://173.254.78.133/~debnars1/pools/in-ground-pools/

But the main changes I am trying to make is the widget-title margin bottom. If I make a global change like changing the body background color it works, but not much else.

Thanks again for you help. I am stumped.

bdbrown

Hi Lynn Your style isn’t being applied because you’re missing a closing bracket in the code above it; all the styles after that are ignored:

.page-content, .entry-content, .entry-summary {
        margin: .5em 0 0;
    }  <------------- this bracket is missing

/*///////WIDGETS///////////*/

.widget-title {
        margin-bottom: 0 !important;
    }

Add that bracket and all your widget titles should adjust.

Lynn

Oh my dear. I don’t know if I have ever felt so stupid in my life. And really I am not! Thank you for the second set of eyes. I stared at that for so long!
    I feel small right now. πŸ™‚

bdbrown

No problem πŸ™‚ A second set of eyes is always good. We do peer code reviews at work all the time. It does help catch things that might otherwise be missed. Glad I could help.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.