[Support request] Child theme question….Is it better to use one?

Home Forums Support [Support request] Child theme question….Is it better to use one?

Home Forums Support Child theme question….Is it better to use one?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jeff

I’m using one of the premade sites from the Site Library in GP Premium.

I don’t have any special customization or custom css planned for the site. But I was going to try doing this tutorial so all of my blog posts look nicer with the large image etc. https://docs.generatepress.com/article/header-element-overview/

1. Is any of what I’ve done so far considered a customization to the site?
    2. Do these types of changes warrant using a child theme?
    3. Generally speaking, is a child theme the smart way to go when using GP?
    4. Do these types of changes get wiped out when I upgrade to the latest version of GP Premium if I don’t use a child theme?
    5. Does GP provide a child theme I can download somewhere?

Thanks!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

1. These type of customization does not require a child theme. A Header Element is actually a Custom Post Type, so not a lot of difference to a Post or a Page.

2. Answered above ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Child Themes are only necessary if you want to directly edit one of the Theme template files.
    They are generally required if you want to add Local Fonts.
    They are recommended if you have a lot of Custom CSS (like 500+ lines) or lots of custom PHP functions.

4. Changes made within the theme customizer, adding CSS to Additional CSS, creating Header elements etc will remain intact when the theme updates.
    4.1 The only things that get overwritten is if you have been naughty and edited the GP Theme files without doing point 3 ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Yes:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/using-child-theme/

As a note, most of the Sites use Custom CSS, this is added to Customizer > Additional CSS. Some sites have a lot more then others, mine in particular. Volume and Dispatch have 400 lines, which i suggest may be nicer if it was moved to a child theme but not necessary.

Jeff

this is very helpful…now I get it. Thank you!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You’re welcome

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.