[Resolved] Child Theme and LearnDash Course Navigation Widget

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Child Theme and LearnDash Course Navigation Widget

Home Forums Support Child Theme and LearnDash Course Navigation Widget

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Kent

I’ve come across an odd behavior which I can’t diagnose. It is only surfacing when I use a GP child theme which is empty (nothing added to style.css or functions.php). Everything works fine when I use the GP parent theme. Here’s what’s happening.

I have a sidebar which contains the LearnDash Course Navigation widget. This widget provides an outline of the course which can be expanded or collapsed. When I’m using the child theme the first item in the course navigation loses the icon before the line when it’s expanded. All other items in the course outline work fine. Switch to the parent theme and the icon changes as expected (different icon for collapsed vs expanded).

In my attempt to debug this I removed all custom CSS from the customizer in the child theme. This made no difference. I’ve hit a wall, can’t come up with what might be impacting this. Do you have any suggestions?

The problem is on a website page which can only be viewed by logging in. So I’m unable to provide a public link to the page which shows the problem.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hey Kent,

That sounds very strange. Any chance you can send temporary login details so we can see the issue?: https://generatepress.com/contact

Let me know ๐Ÿ™‚

Kent

Sure. How do I send you a private message with the login credentials?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

you can send the message via the Account Issue form here:

https://generatepress.com/contact/

Please add a URL for this topic to your message.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I just played with the code for a while and I can’t see any reason why it’s not showing up. Not sure how child theme vs. parent theme would make a difference either.

Have you checked with LearnDash support? Perhaps it’s something they’ve seen before?

Kent

Yes, I started with LearnDash support as I thought it was related to their widget. They investigated and believe it’s related to the theme.

From what I can tell it appears the icons are there, but “padding: 0;” is causing them to now show up.

I exported the customizer settings for the child theme and parent theme so I could compare them, looking for a something which might cause this problem. I couldn’t find anything. Other than the style.css, functions.php and the customizer settings does the child theme store settings or data anywhere else?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer
    Kent

Yes, kind of. I didn’t find the reason why the child theme was displaying differently than the parent theme, but I did find a fix. I could see the icon was there but had such as small width it wasn’t displaying. So I added CSS to increase the padding. It’s working now. Still wish I could figure out why I’m seeing different behavior between the child and parent themes.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

That is bizarre. I can’t think of any reason why that would happen.

I’m glad you found a solution though ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.