[Resolved] Changing source files is leading to fatal errors

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Changing source files is leading to fatal errors

Home Forums Support Changing source files is leading to fatal errors

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Lukas

Hi Support,

I’m trying to change to your theme generatepress. For that I’m using Theme Switcha. So live you see my “old” theme kirumo and not generatepress. I have the updated wordpress and generatepress for the newest versions.

I think I have a general problem. I can’t make changes to the main source files: functions.php, content-page.php. But it’s not important what I change. I just added a comment and wordpress is loading forever and I get a fatal error and have to load the backup for the file to get wordpress running again.

I tried a childtheme too but it doesn’t work either and I dont want a second css file overwriting the main css file. I’m trying to speed up the page and I want to delete all the unnecessary css.

Do you got a security mode so I can’t change these files?

Greetings

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

There’s nothing preventing you from changing the parent theme files (although it’s not recommended at all).

What’s the fatal error you get exactly?

Lukas

ok, it seems to be the Theme Switcha Plugin which is causing the problem. When it’s deactivated, than it works.

Have a nice day

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You too! 🙂

Lukas

I tried to modify the style.css and some other css files but it doesn’t effect the css on the blog. How is the css generated? Can I modify the css somewhere? I want to delete unused classes and add some css…

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Any CSS you add should go into a CSS plugin or your child theme. Modifying the parent theme will cause lots of issues in the future. The theme is only about 30kb on a fresh install, so you shouldn’t have to worry about deleting unused CSS.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.