[Resolved] Changing page content on the fly

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Changing page content on the fly

Home Forums Support Changing page content on the fly

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Randy

Hi!

For modifying the content of certain static pages on the fly, can you help me understand the difference between using a GP hook like generate_before_content to modify the content vs using a code snippet like the one below. For example, let’s say I want to modify the content of some reusable blocks on the fly.

<?php

/**
    * Replace Text in post content
    **/

function vr_replace_content($content) {

$find = array('One', 'Two', 'Three'); // The items to replace
          $replace  = array('Uno', 'Dos', 'Tres'); // Their replacements

$content = str_replace($find, $replace, $content); // $finds strings in the $content to $replace
          return $content; // The filtered content

}
    add_filter('the_content','vr_replace_content'); // This injects vr_replace_content() into the filter the_content(). The normal output of the_content() is altered by the custom function vr_replace_content()

(Above example copied from https://journalxtra.com/wordpress/snippets/edit-wordpress-page-source-on-the-fly/)

Just trying to understand how to know which approach is better/faster/more stable to use.

Thanks!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Hook Elements simply insert content into the Themes Templates. The Hook you choose defines where it is displayed within a Template:

https://docs.generatepress.com/article/hooks-visual-guide/

And the Display Rules decides which post type or archive it is displayed on.

The Hook Element is an action hook ie. add_action( 'the_hook', 'the_content_function' );

Whereas the code you have is a Filter Hook and is being applied to the Post Content. Which cannot be done with an action hook.

So Hook Elements ( add_action ) are for inserting stuff, and Filter Hooks ( add_filter ) are for changing stuff.

Randy

Ok, thank you. I think that makes sense 🙂

So I can use something like the Snippets plugin to add the add_filter hooks.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Yep thats correct – they go in Code Snippets or in a Child Theme functions.php
    Glad to be of help

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.