[Resolved] Change ONE WORD font family on one page

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Change ONE WORD font family on one page

Home Forums Support Change ONE WORD font family on one page

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    H

How do I use a Google Font on just several words on one page without affecting the entire site or entire page? I have spent at least 4+ hours researching trying to find an answer with no success. I know it must be possible but every article and plugin gives extensive instruction or code to change all fonts with, let’s say, h1, or quote, or paragraph across the theme. But I just want script on two words – the end.
    Can anyone please help me?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

I don’t suggest doing this, as you’ll add significant weight to your page just for a few words.

If you need to, I would:

1. Go to the Google Fonts website and build your list of required fonts. It will provide a <link> element for you to add to the <head> of your website.

2. Create a Hook Element: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/hooks-element-overview/

3. Set the hook to wp_head

4. Add your <link> element Google provided.

5. Set the Display Rules to your one page.

Now you need to go into your page, and edit the HTML of your specific words. You need to wrap those words in a custom class which you can apply the font to:

Here's an <span class="first-font">example</span> sentence with a <span class="second-font">couple</span> different fonts.

Now we need to write the CSS so the font family is applied to those classes:

.first-font {
        font-family: Lato, sans-serif;
    }

.second-font {
        font-family: Roboto, sans-serif;
    }

Google should provide an example of the CSS you need to use for your specific fonts.

Hope this helps ๐Ÿ™‚

H

Thanks Tom. Since that isn’t really the way to go, If I want one heading, like h3, in script font, how would you suggest I do it without affecting like every instance of h3 across the entire site but just on one page?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

In that case, you would want to use the method I supplied above. Just be sure to only include the one variant you need (not all of them).

H

I’ll give it a go. What happened to the good old days when I could be on a page, highlight some text and choose another font from a dropdown? I’m just stunned this is so difficult. Surely people want to change font family on their web pages but maybe it’s just me. I will report back shortly.
    thanks

H

Yes, this works. Thanks.
    I will say that your support is AMAZING in terms of response time and thoroughness. I did have to figure a few things out, but thanks.

I would like to know if there isn’t any easier way to change the font of some text on a page.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Thank you! Glad I could help.

If you’re using Gutenberg, maybe this plugin will help?: https://wordpress.org/plugins/olympus-google-fonts/

H

Ok, thanks – that seems a lot easier

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

No problem ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.