[Support request] Category Page – Wrong Approach?

Home Forums Support [Support request] Category Page – Wrong Approach?

Home Forums Support Category Page – Wrong Approach?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Antar

Hi,

I’m trying to create a new template for my news category. I want it to show the posts using Tom’s WP Show Posts plugin. I’ve created a new template called category-news.php – which loads as expected.

I’ve also removed the loop code and inserted the following function:

<?php if ( function_exists( 'wpsp_display' ) ) wpsp_display( 429 ); ?>

The posts display as expected. The only trouble is that the pagination links do not work. They open pages which “cannot be found…”

I don’t know whether I’ve done something wrong or there’s just something wrong with my approach.

Any help would be most useful!

:0)

Antar

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Have you tried re-saving your permalinks in “Settings > Permalinks”?

If so, it may be a limitation in WordPress, as pagination through a plugin (or anything other than core WP archive pages) can be really unpredictable.

It may be better to put your posts on a static page, and then 301 redirect from the category page to your static page.

Antar

Hi, Tom –

Thanks for the feedback. I tried your tip but sadly it doesn’t work. I went on to do some more research online and discovered that this is quite an old and common problem. This is well worth a read:

http://magstags.com/wordpress-seo/wordpress-category-pagination-404-error-fix-seo-set-up/

I’m sure you can fix it!

😉

Antar

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

What about that method didn’t work? Setting up 301 redirects should always work – it’s quite common.

I’m not sure WPSP pagination will work on archive pages like this without being completely re-written I’m afraid.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.