[Support request] Can’t create or edit post as admin

Home Forums Support [Support request] Can’t create or edit post as admin

Home Forums Support Can’t create or edit post as admin

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jan

Hi GP

I can’t create or edit a new post when logged in as admin. However, my writers are able to create a new post and edit with no problem (contributor roles)

I’ve tried disabling every plug-in and clearing the cache with Bluehost with no luck. I’m running 3.1.0 and 2.1.1.

When I run the debug tool, I get these errors:

Deprecated: block_categories is deprecated since version 5.8.0! Use block_categories_all instead. in /home4/site/public_html/site2/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5585

Deprecated: block_categories is deprecated since version 5.8.0! Use block_categories_all instead. in /home4/site/public_html/site2/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5585

Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /home4/site/public_html/site2/wp-includes/functions.php:5585) in /home4/site/public_html/site2/wp-admin/admin-header.php on line 9
    Add New Post

I’ve tried every solution, I’ve been able to find online (e.g. like checking for spaces at the end and beginning of the php-file).

I simply can’t fix this problem.

Is this a GeneratePress issue? It popped up from one day to the next, for no apparent reason.

I’m not a programmer, so I hope you can help me in plain English.

Best, Jan

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

the Theme has no control over this behaviour, its a WordPress core function.

First thing to check is to make the browser isn’t storing some bad cookie/localStorage IDs.
    Have you tried opening in another Browser ?

If that works then you need to clear the localStorage on the browse, delete all cookies and do restart on your machine – it should purge storage.

If NOT then you may need to check for plugin conflicts, or custom functions maybe in the child theme or a Hook Element.

Jan

Hi David

Thank you for your reply.

I tried disabling all plug-ins and then logging in using Edge in Windows 11 (using the browser for the first time ever). I don’t have a child theme or any Elements. So it’s really weird.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Next step is to check for plugin conflicts by temporarily disabling ALL other plugins.

Jan

Hi David.

Yes, that’s what I did. I disabled every plug-in I had running and stripped my site back to the barebones Generatepress (even without GP premium plugin). Then I logged in using the Edge browser, which I had never used before. Still the same problem. Seems to be related to the admin account only.

It’s really weird.

Jan

Okay… after a lot of troubleshooting I decided to revert my version of WordPress to 5.7.2 – and that fixed the problem.

I can see a lot of other users having the same issue as well and where this has been a fix.

So I think there’s something fishy going on with the 5.8.1 WordPress core update.

Maybe this can help other users as well if you experience the same problem at some point.

Thank you for your help, David.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Very odd – not had any users here report a similar issue ( not that i have seen ) – could have had a glitch somewhere that corrupted the WP install. You could always try updating it again 🙂

But, i am glad to hear you found a solution.

Jan

Yeah. On WordPress.org I found a discussion about this and one user had gotten it to work by rolling back to that version. So I did the same, and it worked.

Jan

Hmm… this issue is getting weirder and weirder. After rolling back the core it worked for a while. Then stopped.

I’ve made a screenshot of what happens in Chrome when I try to create a new post. I don’t know if this makes any sense to any of you, but maybe you can point me in the right direction of what may cause this issue?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

I would recommend checking with WP’s support team to see if they can recommend other debugging tips.

Thanks!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.