[Resolved] Can't change no. of columns on Woocommerce products page

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Can't change no. of columns on Woocommerce products page

Home Forums Support Can't change no. of columns on Woocommerce products page

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Gertjan

Hi,

I can’t get the number of columns on the Woocommerce products page to work. If is set it to 3 and clear my cache and reload the page I can see 3 columns for a split second, then it changes to 1. Can you assist in finding the problem?

I’m hoping to hear from you soon.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Do you see it change in the preview? If so but not in live site it’s likely a caching issue.

Any caching plugin or server caching?

Can also try #1 on this page: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/debugging-tips/

Gertjan

I also see it in the preview (customizer), and I have flushed my caching plugin 100 times by now. Also using an incognito tab, so no caching on the client side, and also flushed my Rediscache DB. The fact that it isn’t caching is also noticeable bacuse of the split second when you see 3 columns. When the pages finishes loading it changes to 1 column.

My plugins can’t cause this problem, it’s all other kinds of plugins, nothing close to styling the shop page.

I’ve also tried Woocommerce product archive customiser, but that couldn’t get it to work either.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Can you provide a link to your site?

Gertjan

Efterdeheide.nl

The site is in Dutch by the way

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

The caching plugin you’re using is ignoring the media query attached to the mobile CSS file.

If you want to continue using that specific caching plugin, you’ll need to tell them their code doesn’t work with the media parameter in wp_enqueue_style: https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/wp_enqueue_style/

Gertjan

Hi,

Unfortunately, after disabling my caching plugin (WP Speed of light) and flushing my Rediscache DB, the shop page still displays only 1 column. So I guess I can enable the plugin again and look further with you guys into the cause of this?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Can you keep it disabled and open your website so I can see?

Gertjan

Disabled the caching, only Rediscache is enabled right now. Maintenance mode is disabled, so you can visit the site now.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Something is still caching/minifying the output. You can see this by viewing the source of your site.

Any server caching? Cloudflare? Other plugins?

Gertjan

Okay, I found out which plugin was causing this problem, it was Above The Fold Optimization. This probably has to do with the CSS Optimization, so maybe I can solve this by adding css for the shop page to my Critical CSS. Do you have any idea what this code would look like?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

I think the problem as Tom mentioned is that the plugin is ignoring the media query attached to the mobile CSS file which means it won’t execute the CSS even though it’s there.

That plugin doesn’t really have decent review either. Maybe try to find an alternative?

Here are some optimizing tips: https://generatepress.com/fastest-wordpress-theme/

Gertjan

It’s making a great difference in Google PageSpeed scores, so I would like to keep it. If I know the required CSS I can add it to the Critical CSS of the plugin, so it will always execute that CSS. I’d like to try that beofre looking for an alternative. What’s the required CSS?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

It’s not that it isn’t executing the CSS, the issue is it’s stripping the media query that applies the CSS to mobile only.

If you really want that plugin to work, you might need to report this issue to the developer and hope that they fix it.

Gertjan

Alright, thanks for the help.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.