[Resolved] Can't add a new element

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Can't add a new element

Home Forums Support Can't add a new element

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Gracie

Hi there Tom & team,

I can’t add a new element properly… I go through the process outlined at the start of your “Header element overview” tutorial but when I add a new element, I see a message saying “This element needs a location set within the Display Rules tab in order to display.”

But I can’t click on that tab – or any of the other tabs – The page seems to be locked on the “page hero” tab. The box where you guys add code in the tutorial is also set up as a visual box for me – not with lines for code.

I have the same issue with tabs when trying to add a new “layout” or “hook” as well.

Is this normal…? Am I doing something wrong…?!

Many thanks,
    Gracie

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Can you try #1 here to eliminate any plugin conflicts first?
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/debugging-tips/

Let me know πŸ™‚

Gracie

Hi Leo,

Thanks for your speedy reply. I tried that before but it doesn’t seem to make a difference – the issue is still there…

Any other suggestions? Should I be trying all the other options on that list too?

Many thanks πŸ™‚
    Gracie

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

That’s weird.

Let’s try one more thing.

On the Edit Element screen that’s currently not working, right click then choose Inspect, the select the console tab. Any errors showing?

Gracie

Aha – yes, there’s an error!:

[Error] SyntaxError: Unexpected token ‘=’. Expected a ‘)’ or a ‘,’ after a parameter declaration.
    (anonymous function) (metabox.js:124)

Not sure what that means though…!

If it makes a difference, I’m new to GP – only downloaded yesterday and have been playing around with settings etc.. I haven’t made an element before.

Thanks Leo,
    Gracie

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

That’s really weird. Are you using a child theme?

Gracie

Nope…

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Ok can you provide admin access to me through Account Issue here so I can poke around in there?
    https://generatepress.com/contact/

Please reference the topic URL and leave other plugins disabled for now.

Thanks!

Gracie

Interesting… I clicked on your link but no form showed up under Account issue (despite it saying I had to fill in the relevant fields) so I wondered if it was something to do with my browser (safari)..

Just tried the elements page on chrome and it works (as does your Account issue form)! So I’ll keep going with it on Chrome!

Only other question while we’re here is that on your video, on the RHS, there are “template tags” but I don’t have them on my screen – does that matter/can I get them?

Thank you for your help Leo!
    Gracie

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

I’m gonna guess there are extensions or apps on the safari browser that’s causing the issues.

As for template tags, make sure Template Tags is checked under Screen Options on the top right corner.

Gracie

Ah yes, got it, thanks.

Thank you for your time – I’ll have a look into the safari issue.

Gracie – Over and out πŸ™‚

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

No problem πŸ™‚

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.