- This topic has 14 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 5 years, 2 months ago by Tom.
May 19, 2016 at 10:54 pm #195460Vsevolod Serbin
Recently I’ve faced a problem with updates and your website accesibility. Physically I’m in Russia, Tomsk and trying to open generatepress.com from my office. First time I’ve noticed problems in my console – update and plugin pages were freezing.
What I’ve tried:
- I can open this website using anonymizer (like right now I’m using ZenMate extention)
- I’ve checked your domain in blocked list (yes our government can block websites) – it wasn’t in the list
- I did “tracert generatepress.com” command and it stopped at 22.214.171.124. I did a small investigation and discovered that this IP belongs to DigitalOcean. I wrote them but they adviced me to contact site owner.
Could you help me with this?May 20, 2016 at 1:20 am #195488TomLead DeveloperLead Developer
That’s interesting – are you able to open the site at home or from another address?
We recently had an issue with Cloudflare causing outages for some countries, but I cut them out of the equation so if the site is up for me in Canada, it should be up for you in Russia or anywhere else.May 20, 2016 at 5:46 am #195532Vsevolod Serbin
No, I can’t access it from home or any other place. Can I provide you more information on this issue? I have no idea what’s wrong, this is the first time I’ve ran into such things.May 20, 2016 at 11:27 pm #195619TomLead DeveloperLead Developer
It’s the first time I’ve heard of such a thing – we have many people from Russia using GP and GP Premium. GP is even translated fully into Russian.
I wonder if anyone from Russia can chime in on this?May 21, 2016 at 1:58 am #195630Vsevolod Serbin
I’ve just started thread in russian WP support forum. I’ll post here when someone answer me.
Thank you for support.May 21, 2016 at 4:00 am #195639igor ivanov
Have same problem too. Cannot open generatepress.com without anonymizer. And if I try to update my site it’s freezing.
Get following info from my hosting provider:
$ curl -IvL generatepress.com
* Rebuilt URL to: generatepress.com/
* Trying 126.96.36.199…
* connect to 188.8.131.52 port 80 failed: Connection timed out
* Failed to connect to generatepress.com port 80: Connection timed out
* Closing connection 0
curl: (7) Failed to connect to generatepress.com port 80: Connection timed out
IgorMay 21, 2016 at 7:55 am #195665Vsevolod Serbin
One of community members confirmed that generatepress is unavailable from Russia. He wrote you in Twitter.May 21, 2016 at 9:04 am #195678TomLead DeveloperLead Developer
Thanks for confirming.
This is what my server said:
Thank you for contacting us. It sounds like there is possibly an issue with network connectivity from a specific region. Can you get the following from someone affected?
Even if it’s happening from multiple locations, and multiple IPs, getting this information helps try and figure out what’s going on.
1. What is your public IP address? You can use http://whatismyip.akamai.com/ to find out, if you’re unsure.
2. Who is your ISP?
3. The ping and MTR(with a higher count like 25 or 50), from yourself to the droplet.
4. The ping and MTR, in the opposite direction—from the droplet to your public IP address from step 1.
You may wish to read this tutorial for further information about MTR:
If you do not have MTR, here’s how you can obtain it:
The MTR utility should be available in your OS’s repositories. Alternatively, you can obtain it here:
If you cannot use “MTR,” please use these commands instead:
Windows (via cmd.exe):
Mac/Unix (via terminal):
ping -c5 x.x.x.x
The IP of the server is 184.108.40.206.
Any information you can provide will definitely help.
Thanks!May 22, 2016 at 1:54 am #195832igor ivanov
ISP: JSC Zap-Sibtranstelecom
ping & tracert info hereMay 22, 2016 at 10:03 am #195891TomLead DeveloperLead DeveloperMay 22, 2016 at 6:59 pm #195953Vsevolod Serbin
Site works for me now. Is it solved? Updates from dashboard aslo workng as usual. I’ve also got response at WP forum that GP loads very slow from Germany.
May 22, 2016 at 8:31 pm #195961igor ivanov
- This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Vsevolod Serbin.
I can open the site too. But updates from dashboard are slower than usual.May 22, 2016 at 11:53 pm #195981TomLead DeveloperLead Developer
Glad it’s working now – thanks for the help!
Interesting about Germany – it’s GP’s second most popular country, so hopefully it’s not for everyone?
Tough for me to troubleshoot these kinds of issues – if anyone from Germany can chime in that would be great 🙂May 23, 2016 at 12:11 am #195989Vsevolod Serbin
Thank you, Tom!
I’ve tried to open your website through anonymizer with option “access from Germany” – it was uploaded pretty fast. I assume it was sort of a sporadic issue.
Thanks again!May 23, 2016 at 12:46 am #195997
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.