[Resolved] Can't access website and updates from Russia

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Can't access website and updates from Russia

Home Forums Support Can't access website and updates from Russia

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Vsevolod Serbin

Hello, Tom!

Recently I’ve faced a problem with updates and your website accesibility. Physically I’m in Russia, Tomsk and trying to open generatepress.com from my office. First time I’ve noticed problems in my console – update and plugin pages were freezing.

What I’ve tried:

1. I can open this website using anonymizer (like right now I’m using ZenMate extention)
    2. I’ve checked your domain in blocked list (yes our government can block websites) – it wasn’t in the list
    3. I did “tracert generatepress.com” command and it stopped at 162.243.188.234. I did a small investigation and discovered that this IP belongs to DigitalOcean. I wrote them but they adviced me to contact site owner.

Could you help me with this?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

That’s interesting – are you able to open the site at home or from another address?

We recently had an issue with Cloudflare causing outages for some countries, but I cut them out of the equation so if the site is up for me in Canada, it should be up for you in Russia or anywhere else.

Vsevolod Serbin

No, I can’t access it from home or any other place. Can I provide you more information on this issue? I have no idea what’s wrong, this is the first time I’ve ran into such things.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

It’s the first time I’ve heard of such a thing – we have many people from Russia using GP and GP Premium. GP is even translated fully into Russian.

I wonder if anyone from Russia can chime in on this?

Vsevolod Serbin

I’ve just started thread in russian WP support forum. I’ll post here when someone answer me.
    Thank you for support.

igor ivanov

Hi,

Have same problem too. Cannot open generatepress.com without anonymizer. And if I try to update my site it’s freezing.
    Get following info from my hosting provider:
    $ curl -IvL generatepress.com
    * Rebuilt URL to: generatepress.com/
    * Trying 104.236.212.100…
    * connect to 104.236.212.100 port 80 failed: Connection timed out
    * Failed to connect to generatepress.com port 80: Connection timed out
    * Closing connection 0
    curl: (7) Failed to connect to generatepress.com port 80: Connection timed out

Sincerely,
    Igor

Vsevolod Serbin

One of community members confirmed that generatepress is unavailable from Russia. He wrote you in Twitter.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Thanks for confirming.

This is what my server said:

————————

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us. It sounds like there is possibly an issue with network connectivity from a specific region. Can you get the following from someone affected?

Even if it’s happening from multiple locations, and multiple IPs, getting this information helps try and figure out what’s going on.

1. What is your public IP address? You can use http://whatismyip.akamai.com/ to find out, if you’re unsure.
    2. Who is your ISP?
    3. The ping and MTR(with a higher count like 25 or 50), from yourself to the droplet.
    4. The ping and MTR, in the opposite direction—from the droplet to your public IP address from step 1.

You may wish to read this tutorial for further information about MTR:

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-use-traceroute-and-mtr-to-diagnose-network-issues
    If you do not have MTR, here’s how you can obtain it:

Windows:
    http://winmtr.net/

Mac OS X:
    https://code.google.com/p/rudix/downloads/detail?name=mtr-0.82-0.pkg

Unix:
    The MTR utility should be available in your OS’s repositories. Alternatively, you can obtain it here:
    https://github.com/traviscross/mtr

If you cannot use “MTR,” please use these commands instead:

Windows (via cmd.exe):
    ping x.x.x.x
    tracert x.x.x.x

Mac/Unix (via terminal):
    ping -c5 x.x.x.x
    traceroute x.x.x.x

—————-

The IP of the server is 104.236.212.100.

Any information you can provide will definitely help.

Thanks!

igor ivanov

My info:
    IP: 94.251.123.25
    ISP: JSC Zap-Sibtranstelecom
    ping & tracert info here

View post on imgur.com

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Thank you! This should help us figure out what’s going on.

Vsevolod Serbin

Site works for me now. Is it solved? Updates from dashboard aslo workng as usual. I’ve also got response at WP forum that GP loads very slow from Germany.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by Vsevolod Serbin.
    igor ivanov

I can open the site too. But updates from dashboard are slower than usual.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Glad it’s working now – thanks for the help!

Interesting about Germany – it’s GP’s second most popular country, so hopefully it’s not for everyone?

Tough for me to troubleshoot these kinds of issues – if anyone from Germany can chime in that would be great 🙂

Vsevolod Serbin

Thank you, Tom!
    I’ve tried to open your website through anonymizer with option “access from Germany” – it was uploaded pretty fast. I assume it was sort of a sporadic issue.

Thanks again!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Awesome, great to hear 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.