[Resolved] Can no longer use the CSS Editor in WP Admin

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Can no longer use the CSS Editor in WP Admin

Home Forums Support Can no longer use the CSS Editor in WP Admin

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Vera

After removing *@import url("../generatepress/style.css"); from my child theme, it made it so I could no longer use the CSS editor that’s in the WP Admin interface (under Appearance > Editor) to edit the same CSS style sheet. The WP Editor uses the original child theme style sheet. I can tell because I commented it rather than deleting – just in case.

Although I like the Editor in the Customizer interface for immediately seeing the effects of my changes, I prefer the Standard editor when I’m setting up rules that I’m reasonably sure will work. I find the Customizer editor very small and clunky and difficult to navigate.

Is there a way to get the same child theme from GeneratePress to display for both the Customizer and the Admin Editor?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I’m not sure I fully understand.

Are you saying when you go to “Appearance > Editor”, it forces you to edit the parent theme style.css file, instead of your child theme?

Vera

No, my original blank CHILD theme is what opens in that section. It’s the one where you had me remove the @import line (I did not literally delete it but I did *comment* it out). You had me do that when I posted that none of my modifications were being retained.

Using the Appearance > Customize > Additional CSS section is very frustrating on the iPad, especially when trying to correct lines marked with an error. I make a selection but it kind of phantom selects something elsewhere. Then I cut or try pasting or typing over whatever it looks like I selected, but nothing changes. Instead it changes what got selected elsewhere and I often end up with another error to contend with. It took a while before I realized what was going on.

I have to jump through hoops to truly select something – open keyboard, close keyboard, open keyboard again, hold on what I want to select for a few seconds until I see the cursor in the word. Ugh. When things start getting messy there, I’d sometimes (maybe most times, but not always) rather use the Appearance > Editor — especially to correct when it really messes up my CSS.

What I was hoping for is that the same style sheet that appears at Appearance > Customize > Additional CSS would also appear at Appearance > Editor, but it doesn’t.

I hope that makes sense.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Ah, well you could just cut the CSS from your Additional CSS setting and paste it into your child theme, then work from your child theme from now on.

The two can’t be connected any other way I’m afraid.

Vera

Oh well. Not the end of the world. I just need to bear with it until I finish the layout.

John

I’m liking the customizer CSS tab(s) to do the actual css coding, but it seems pretty logical to me to move it from there to the child css once sorted. As noted, it’s a pretty small workspace 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.