[Resolved] Can I or should I use Child Theme Configurator with Generate Press (w/add ons)

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Can I or should I use Child Theme Configurator with Generate Press (w/add ons)

Home Forums Support Can I or should I use Child Theme Configurator with Generate Press (w/add ons)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Helen

I’m a real beginner. Have GP with all add ons. I have used Child Theme Configurator with a different website and want to know if I can use it with GP. Or is it overkill since the GP configurator appears to have so many built-in options.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You’ll want a child theme if you’re going to add custom CSS or PHP.

That being said, I suggest just using our blank child theme if you do want to install one: http://generatepress.com/api/themes/generatepress_child.zip

Let me know if you need more info ๐Ÿ™‚

Helen Bastian

Helen Bastian <bastianhmb@gmail.com>
    9:49 AM (0 minutes ago)

to GeneratePress
    Thank you Tom, Totally didn’t expect such a speedy reply and certainly not on the weekend. I have downloaded the Child zip file, now what?

I am terribly new at this so I have some very simple questions. Do I understand correctly that the purpose of using a child theme is only if I want to make changes to the parent theme, e.g. to permanently change my footer so that word press or other copyright info is over written.

Therefore, should I still be doing all my site content development (text, photos, etc.) in the parent? That is, do I make the parent “active” before adding or editing content? And make the child “active” when I want to change something in the child?

Helen Bastian

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Helen,

To install the child theme, download the .zip file to your computer.

Then go to “Appearance > Themes > Add New > Upload” and upload the .zip.

Activate it and you’ll be good to go.

The child theme should always stay active – the parent theme will simply run in the background.

Basically, once the child theme is active, you can totally forget about it and focus on adding your content/making your changes ๐Ÿ™‚

Let me know if you need more info.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.