[Resolved] Can a Custom Post Type (created with Pods) copy the Customise settings for Blog

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Can a Custom Post Type (created with Pods) copy the Customise settings for Blog

Home Forums Support Can a Custom Post Type (created with Pods) copy the Customise settings for Blog

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Michael

I have a Custom Post Type created with the Pods plugin. It is very similar to the standard wordpress posts (title, image, excerpt, content) but has some additional custom fields and a related Custom Taxonomy.

I’d like to be able to amend the way this Pods CPT displays with the Customiser, in the same way that changing settings there affect the standard posts layout (under Customise > Layout > Blog). It can follow the exact same settings for Posts.

At the moment I am using Pods’ Auto Template facility to control the layout of the CPT with a simple Pods template added after the_content().

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

any chance i can see the CPT ? Might give us an idea of what is doable and what is not.

Michael

Hi David thanks for the reply. Sorry – it’s only on a local setup at the moment. Would screengrabs help?

What I’ve noticed is that some of the Customise > Layout > Blog settings work and change the layout on my CPT, but some don’t. For instance, the Featured Image settings all seem to work fine on both the Archives and Single view of the CPT – i.e. I can change the image size and position as expected. However, if I set the Content: Archives to show Excerpts it works on the CPT archives page, but I also get the Excerpt showing on the Single CPT view.

So, for a blog post some of the settings I have are like:
    CONTENT
    Archive: show Excerpt (Single shows the blog post content)
    FEATURED IMAGE

but for CPT it’s doing this
    CONTENT
    Archive: show Excerpt (Single shows the CPT excerpt too, but I want it to be CPT content)
    FEATURED IMAGE

Another difference is that fields like Tags, Categories, Date and Author are appearing on blog posts, but not on my CPT.

(Sorry if this about Pods/CPTs rather than GeneratePress)

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Simple ones are getting the meta to display using these two filters:

https://docs.generatepress.com/article/generate_entry_meta_post_types/
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/generate-footer-meta-post-types/

Not sure on this but you would normally have to tell your CPT to support Excerpts. Which if i recall is an option in the PODs templates ? If not may be worth asking PODs support – Jim True is super helpful in the forums and the slack channel.

Michael

Thanks David – I do have Excerpts checked in Pods > Edit > [my CPT] > Advanced Options > Supports.

Those filters are super useful – cheers!

At the moment thought I’m still stuck with the Excerpt showing on both the [myCPT] Archive AND Single… I’ll certainly see whether Pods (and the ever-helpful Jim) can provide any thoughts…

Michael

OK – some progress. I tried enabling/disabling plugins, code snippets and themes. I’ve pinned it down to themes – and actually its happening in the child theme that I’m working on! Seems like I must have broken something myself, so I am about to check in there.

Thanks for help!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Ah ok -let us know how you get on

Michael

Found it – I’d been trying to achieve some design changes in the child template prior to purchasing the Pro version of GeneratePress. I should have scratched that earlier work.

So far I’m able to achieve what I need with GP settings, CSS in the Customiser, filters (in Code Snippets), and some Pods templating. At the moment my Child Theme is redundant (which to my way of thinking means GP and Pods are doing the heavy-lifting.

Thanks!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Awesome – glad to hear that !

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.