[Resolved] Byline / Entry-Meta / Customizer: Archive page and Single post

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Byline / Entry-Meta / Customizer: Archive page and Single post

Home Forums Support Byline / Entry-Meta / Customizer: Archive page and Single post

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    andrachans

Hello there,

The code below was previously supplied to me under support ticket of June 24, 2018.

Can you please assist me with the following:

1) Remove the word ‘by’ from the .byline
    2) On the Archive page, keeping the single line layout, drop the entry-meta below the entry-summary.
    3) On the Single post, keep the entry-meta where it is, below the entry-title.
    4) Allow me to control which entry-meta displays on the Archive page and Single post, through the Customizer. Currently, the ticking of boxes / unticking of boxes in the Customizer, has no affect on the entry-meta that is displayed – it is either all there, or, nothing is there if I untick the ‘Display post author’ box.

Thank you.

Kallad

add_filter( ‘generate_post_author_output’, ‘tu_categories_to_author’ );
    add_filter( ‘generate_category_list_output’, ‘__return_false’ );
    add_filter( ‘generate_tag_list_output’, ‘__return_false’ );
    add_filter( ‘generate_show_comments’, ‘__return_false’ );
    add_filter( ‘generate_post_date_output’, ‘__return_false’ );
    function tu_categories_to_author( $output ) {
    $categories_list = get_the_category_list( _x( ‘, ‘, ‘Used between list items, there is a space after the comma.’, ‘generatepress’ ) );
    $categories_list = sprintf( ‘<span class=”cat-links”>%1$s</span>’,
    $categories_list
    );

$tags_list = get_the_tag_list( ”, _x( ‘, ‘, ‘Used between list items, there is a space after the comma.’, ‘generatepress’ ) );
    $tags_list = sprintf( ‘<span class=”tags-links”>%1$s</span>’,
    $tags_list
    );

$time_string = ‘<time class=”entry-date published” datetime=”%1$s” itemprop=”datePublished”>%2$s</time>’;
    if ( get_the_time( ‘U’ ) !== get_the_modified_time( ‘U’ ) ) {
    $time_string = ‘<time class=”updated” datetime=”%3$s” itemprop=”dateModified”>%4$s</time>’ . $time_string;
    }

$time_string = sprintf( $time_string,
    esc_attr( get_the_date( ‘c’ ) ),
    esc_html( get_the_date() ),
    esc_attr( get_the_modified_date( ‘c’ ) ),
    esc_html( get_the_modified_date() )
    );

$date = sprintf( ‘<span class=”posted-on”>%1$s</span>’, // WPCS: XSS ok, sanitization ok.
    sprintf( ‘%3$s‘,
    esc_url( get_permalink() ),
    esc_attr( get_the_time() ),
    $time_string
    )
    );

echo $output . ‘ | ‘ . $date . ‘ | ‘ . $categories_list . ‘ | ‘ . $tags_list;

}

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi,

1.) You can follow Tom’s code here to remove the byline:
    https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/removing-by-from-author-byline/#post-543882

2, 3 and 4.)

You can control the entry meta display by using generate_header_entry_meta_items and generate_footer_entry_meta_items filters.

You can add in page/post conditions to the filter to control their display on posts, archives and pages.

Example:

add_filter('generate_header_entry_meta_items', function(){
        if(is_archive() || is_home()){ //if its an archive page or blog
            return array(
                    'date',
                    'author',
                );
        } if(is_search()){ //if search page
            return array(
                    'date', 'categories',
                );
        } if(is_singular()){ //if single page
        }
    });

That said, for #2 and #3:

add_filter('generate_header_entry_meta_items', function($items){
            return false;
        } return $items;
    });
    add_filter('generate_footer_entry_meta_items', function($items){
            return array( 
                'date',
                'author',
                'comments-link',
                'categories',
                'post-navigation', 
            );
        } return $items;
    }); 
    andrachans

Thank you for your reply.

1) Apologies – this was my mistake – I did previously read this solution on the support forum.

2, 3, 4) This is not quite what I am after. Let me start again:
    On the Archive page, I want the entry-meta in a single, positioned below the entry-summary.
    On the Single post, I want the entry-meta in a single line, positioned below the entry-title.
    I want to still be able to use the Customizer to hide / display different entry-meta, on the Archive page and Single post (like I can do before having entry-meta placed on a single line).
    I do not want to add hooks, etc, as I am not a developer, and this is looking for trouble for me. A simple solution will work best for me.

Thank you.

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

The theme has 2 entry meta locations on its archive and and single posts page.

1 is on header .entry-meta after the entry-title and 1 on the footer after the content or entry-summary on posts lists.

The purpose of the filter was to be able to control or move the entry meta placed on the header .entry-meta to the footer .entry-meta. The condition is then added so it only applies for the archive pages as per your requirement.

Once moved, you can style it with CSS for it to stay on a single line.

I want to still be able to use the Customizer to hide / display different entry-meta, on the Archive page and Single post (like I can do before having entry-meta placed on a single line).

You can still use this even after adding the filter.

I do not want to add hooks, etc, as I am not a developer, and this is looking for trouble for me. A simple solution will work best for me.

Unfortunately, you’ll have to use the filter if you want to specifically control and/or move entry meta items to other locations as it’s not within the customizer UI.

Here’s how to add PHP incase you’ve decided to use it:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/adding-php/

andrachans

Hello there,

Apologies for the late response.

I will do so…thank you.

Kallad

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

No problem. Let us know how it goes.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.