[Resolved] Building a post template with Header element

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Building a post template with Header element

Home Forums Support Building a post template with Header element

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Joshua

Okay, so I have an interesting question.

I’d like to create a custom post template where I can use custom fields with GeneratePress’s template tags. However, I know nothing about PHP other than what I can scrape up online, so coding a custom post template from scratch is not an option for me.

I find GeneratePress’s Header element to be perfect for building custom headers. I can use HTML and CSS to build the look and feel, and just use the template tags to integrate dynamic content using custom fields. My question is this:

Would it be completely insane to build an entire post template using the Header element so that I can utilize the template tags, or is there a better approach?

For reference, I am building a review post template similar to this: https://www.nerdwallet.com/reviews/banking/axos-bank?scrollTo=7247400a-c5ab-11e8-9778-f3fad1db9049

Each of the banking products would be populated through custom fields on the backend without me having to use Gutenberg blocks for every single post.

I hope my question makes sense. Thanks GP team!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

to answer your question, I would not do that. Header Elements should really be reserved for things such as the featured image and post meta, not the full content.

You may want to look at ACF and ACF Blocks – they take a little bit of HTML to setup but they have a lot of how to’s in their documentation.

Joshua

Okay thanks, David. I started playing around with some ACF shortcodes. I’ll take a look at the Blocks and find a solution in there. Thanks for your help!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You’re welcome

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.