[Resolved] Bug in Footer Widget when switching Themes

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Bug in Footer Widget when switching Themes

Home Forums Support Bug in Footer Widget when switching Themes

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Tobias

Hello,

this is not a very common issue, I suppose, since people usually do not switch from one theme to another often, but I am testing the GeneratePress, see if it works, and then switch back to my old theme, before I will use GeneratePress eventually.
    when I am switching from GeneratePress back to another Theme and then return to GeneratePress the text field, with contact info, which I put in the footer widget is no longer shown.

Use Case: I am inserting a text field into the footer widget, with contact info. Then I save and activate the Plugin. The contact info is shown fine. When I switch back to the Theme before and check on GeneratePress, the text field is still shown in the Configuration Side Bar as part of the footer widget, but on the preview website the original footer with the text: “Replace this widget content by going to….” is shown.
    When I save and activate then the text field in the footer is ignored and the orginial footer also appears on my site.

So somehow, although saving (and activating), the changes are not persistent when deactivating the theme. In addition the text field is still shown on the left side in the footer, but not recognized.

Hope I described it understandable.

Sincerely,
    Tobi

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Tobi,

If I understand correctly, this is actually just how WordPress functions.

Themes have specific widget IDs which hold your widgets.

When you switch themes, those specific widget IDs change, and your widgets no longer know where to reside.

This is when WordPress tries to move them to the “Inactive Widgets” area inside the Widgets Dashboard.

The same thing happens when your menu theme location, which is why it’s usually necessary to re-set your Theme Location when you change themes.

Let me know if that makes sense or not 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.