- This topic has 40 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 year, 5 months ago by David.
January 20, 2020 at 4:55 am #1137744Bram
To have an overvieuw over my articles, I want them in excerpt positioned in pairs of two, next to each other on the so called blogpage. So, I have my homepage, my blogpage and my articles(posts)
The so called blogpage automaticly presents my articles, but also the whole content. However the only thing I want to show on the blogpage is an image, a title and eventually a short sentence. An excerpt actually.
What solution does GeneratePress has for this problem? Is there a detailed article?January 20, 2020 at 5:08 am #1137750DavidStaffCustomer Support
by default WordPress removes HTML from the excerpt. And the length of the excerpt can be changed in the Blog Settings Excerpt Word Count:
Do you have any plugins or custom functions that are changing the Excerpt output ?
The other option is to use the Excerpt meta box in the post editor. Whatever you type in there will replace the excerpt.January 20, 2020 at 3:56 pm #1138474Bram
Hi David, thanks for your help.
Stil some questions:
(I do not use plugins or custom functions)
1) In my post/article I use content/no sidebar. But the blogpage still show a search block and a block archives. Can I disable that, so I have the whole page free for excerpts?
2) In Blog archives(customizer) I have set Read more button label and set Display Read more button. I do not see a read more button at all. The title in the excerpt is actually the link to the complete article. Should there really be a real button with text “Read more” and backround and textcolors?
3) Is it possible to place the excerpts on the homepage as well?
4)The other option is to use the Excerpt meta box in the post editor. Whatever you type in there will replace the excerpt.
Please can you give more detailed information? I cannot find the location of the Excerpt meta box in the post editor. When you mean the right site of the page editor, between featured image and discussion, I can only write down sentences, which appear in the excerpt. Like a dicription of the title.
Youn can see the website in developement(actually a try-out website) http://rickmoeliker.nlJanuary 21, 2020 at 5:09 am #1138956DavidStaffCustomer Support
1. In Customizer > Layout > Sidebars you have a separate option for Blog Sidebar Layout
2. and 4.
That is correct the Excerpt field is between the Featured Image and Discussion fields in the Post Editor. These are known as Custom Excerpts and to display a Read more link or button requires these codes:
3. You would require a plugin like this to display posts outside of the blog/archives:January 21, 2020 at 7:30 am #1139278Bram
Hi David, thank you for your answers.
1. is ok
2. and 4. I’am still in trouble. Where exactly do I have to place these codes? The excerpt field is only for sentences and not for the php code. functions php,or a code snippets plugin?
The last one I aleady tried. But after given in the codes, there is one line with failure saying:
Cannot redeclare function tu excerpt_metabox_more()SO, I DID NOT SAVE CHANGES.
But maybe I’m already on the wrong track with this plugin or way of thinking.
3. I have to find out, but first solve 2. and 4. .January 21, 2020 at 7:51 am #1139296DavidStaffCustomer Support
2. and 4. This article provides the methods for adding PHP:
You should ONLY add one of the codes provided.January 21, 2020 at 8:21 am #1139337Bram
I do not know what happened, but “suddenly”(?) the excerpt was there complete with button and text.
WITHOUT USING THE CODES OR SNIPPET PLUGIN! Is this possible without using the code actively?January 21, 2020 at 3:39 pm #1139696TomLead DeveloperLead Developer
It’s possible if:
1. You’ve set the blog content to “Excerpt” in Customize > Layout > Blog
2. You’re not using the “Excerpt” custom field
If those conditions are met, the excerpt and read more buttons will appear by default 🙂January 22, 2020 at 4:15 am #1140082Bram
Thank you Tom, step by step I am learning, with great help!
Now I have a featured image in the header of my article and I should like to display the same image in the excerpt on my blogpage. For this moment the excerpt field only shows the title and shortcut and the read more button. Is it possible to edit the except field (reposition text and image)?January 22, 2020 at 9:30 am #1140550TomLead DeveloperLead Developer
If you’re showing an excerpt, it won’t show any images (or any HTML) from your post itself.
Are you adding the featured image using the “Featured Image” area in the editor? If so, is it enabled to show?: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/adjusting-the-featured-images/January 23, 2020 at 4:58 pm #1142087Bram
Step by step I’m coming further.
Still some playing with the excerpts, moving and add the featured images and get them in the right position.
Now I want to show the excerpt on my homepage and using your the advice of David, se below
3. You would require a plugin like this to display posts outside of the blog/archives:
(Ihave downloaded the plugin already)
And I saw your name as a contributor to WP show post.
I cannot see clearly how to work with the shortcode in order to get a kind of copy of the excerpt on my homepage. Is there a step by step article?January 24, 2020 at 4:30 am #1142384DavidStaffCustomer Support
you can find the support documentation for WP Show Posts here:
From the Dashboard > WP Show Posts > Create a new List.
Within the list you can configure the list, selecting the Post Type of Post, filter them by Taxonomy eg. Category, set the number of posts display etc. All the fine detail is covered in the above docs.
Once created it provides a shortcode which you simply copy, edit your Home Page and Paste in.January 24, 2020 at 5:00 am #1142408Bram
Thank you David,
Am I correct in saying that with the help of wpshowpost you can create a kind of complete copy of the existing excerpt, which you can place “anywhere” you want in your website by means of the shortcode.
It not possible to make a kind of copy of the existing excerpt en kind of paste it on the homepage.
(probably simple wishfull thinking, it is of course wordpress and not a microsoft word program)
BramJanuary 24, 2020 at 6:27 am #1142510DavidStaffCustomer SupportJanuary 24, 2020 at 8:02 am #1142747Bram
Thank you David, but the question was, Am I right that I have to make up a kind of complete copy of the existing excerpt first with WP show post elements, and then placing the shortcode somewhere?
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.