[Resolved] blog post structure customization

Home Forums Support [Resolved] blog post structure customization

Home Forums Support blog post structure customization

• This topic has 8 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Tom.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Adam

Hi,

I have a few, questions related to blog post structure customization.

1. I’m looking at this visual guide https://docs.generatepress.com/article/hooks-visual-guide/ and I noticed the post author element on the bottom of the post, with the avatar. How can I achieve the same effect?

2. I wish to achieve following elements order:
    – blog post
    – post meta
    – sharing links (I use separate plugin so I can call shortcode whenever nedded)
    – related posts (I’m using Jetpack now, but mayby there is better solution)
    – post author (I coded custom plugin, but if there is native support as mentioned in visual guide, than this would be preferred.)
    – posts navigation

I tried to invoke posts_nav_link in generate_after_content but it doesn’t return anything.

Thanks,
    Adam

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

1. Thats actually the avatar for the Comments.
    You could include an image in the author byline meta – see below

2. You can change the footer meta using this filter:

https://docs.generatepress.com/article/generate_footer_entry_meta_items/
    eg.

add_filter( 'generate_footer_entry_meta_items', function( $items ) {
        if ( is_single() ) {
            $items = array(
                'author',
                'date',
                'post-navigation',
            );
        }

return $items;
    } );

And this filter to add an avatar before the author:

add_filter( 'generate_post_author_output', function() {
        return sprintf( ' <span class="byline">%1$s</span>',
            sprintf( '<span class="author vcard" itemtype="http://schema.org/Person" itemscope="itemscope" itemprop="author">%4$s<a href="%1$s" title="%2$s" rel="author"><span class="author-name" itemprop="name">%3$s</span></a></span>',
                esc_url( get_author_posts_url( get_the_author_meta( 'ID' ) ) ),
                esc_attr( sprintf( __( 'View all posts by %s', 'generatepress' ), get_the_author() ) ),
                esc_html( get_the_author() ),
                get_avatar( get_the_author_meta( 'ID' ) )
            )
        );
    } );

Those other elements such as sharing links, related posts – if the plugins provide shortcodes you can add them to the after_content hook using a Hook Element.

For the Post Nav can check if it works with the Post navigation enabled in Customizer > Layout > Blog

Adam

Thanks David.

I managed to have it in the way I want. I added post nav with the code below. The problem is the nav shows twice. When I disable ‘Display post navigation’ it doesn’t show at all. I could hide the one I don’t want with css, but I don’t want to render it at all – unnecessary computing.

Can you tell, how can I use code below with disabled ‘Display post navigation’ and still see the navigation?

The core of the problem is that the prev next nav links are considered as entry-meta, but they aren’t. I think they should be separate from this container.

add_action('generate_after_content', function() {
    echo '<footer class="entry-meta"><nav id="nav-below" class="post-navigation">';
      printf('<span class="screen-reader-text">%s</span>', __( 'Post navigation', 'generatepress' ));

$post_navigation_args = apply_filters( 'generate_post_navigation_args', array(
        'previous_format' => '<div class="nav-previous">' . generate_get_svg_icon( 'arrow' ) . '<span class="prev" title="' . esc_attr__( 'Previous', 'generatepress' ) . '"
    >%link</span></div>',
        'next_format' => '<div class="nav-next">' . generate_get_svg_icon( 'arrow' ) . '<span class="next" title="' . esc_attr__( 'Next', 'generatepress' ) . '">%link</span
    ></div>',
        'link' => '%title',
        'in_same_term' => apply_filters( 'generate_category_post_navigation', false ),
        'excluded_terms' => '',
        'taxonomy' => 'category',
      ) );

previous_post_link(
        $post_navigation_args['previous_format'],
        '%title',
        $post_navigation_args['in_same_term'],
        $post_navigation_args['excluded_terms'],
        $post_navigation_args['taxonomy']
      );

next_post_link(
        $post_navigation_args['next_format'],
        '%title',
        $post_navigation_args['in_same_term'],
        $post_navigation_args['excluded_terms'],
        $post_navigation_args['taxonomy']
      );

echo '</footer></nav>';
    });

Adam

Ok, I managed to achieve it, but in quite dirty way. I had to make #nav-below position absolute, and .inside-article position relative plus give some padding on the bottom.

It works, but I wish that nav would have separate code base not so tight coupled with entry-meta.

With this solution it’s hard to keep it responsive.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

The other elements you have hooked in after_main_content – lower their priority to 9 or less to position them before the post meta.

Adam

The problem is the entry-meta contains nav buttons. I want nav buttons to be on the bottom and the rest of the meta just after the post. There is no other way to do that other than I did.

Can I make a feature request to remove nav buttons from the entry-meta?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Are you basically wanting the post-navigation element outside of the entry-meta element?

Right now it is hardcoded in, as you can see here: https://github.com/tomusborne/generatepress/blob/2.4.2/inc/structure/post-meta.php#L382

You would have to build your own generate_content_nav() function, then hook it where you want.

I’ll look at making this more flexible in 2.5.0 ๐Ÿ™‚

Adam

Hi Tom, yes, I wish to have post-navigation independent from entry-meta.

Yes, to make it happen I think probably even easier would be to move generate_content_nav from generate_footer_meta, and hook it alone.

There is also problem with styling. If I put post-navigation outside footer.entry-meta I will lose styling.

Thanks for considering making it easier in future version. ๐Ÿ™‚

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

The styling is inherited from the meta container, which is why it’s in there.

We likely won’t remove it by default (backward-compatibility), but I will look at adding it into the current set of filters which will at least make it remove-able so it can be hooked elsewhere.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.