[Resolved] "Blog – Post Image" and "Page Header – Image"

Home Forums Support [Resolved] "Blog – Post Image" and "Page Header – Image"

Home Forums Support "Blog – Post Image" and "Page Header – Image"

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ondřej

Hi, so I found a few bugs and things to improve 🙂

Blog – Post Image
    1) If you just set Post Image Height and leave Post Image Width on “Auto” then the image is not resized. You have to set Post Image Width to 0 for it to work. Please fix it so the “0” is not necessary.

2) The image is resized only on main page. If you go into post then the image is not resized. Please fix it so it applies also for image inside post or maybe make separate settings for the image in post (so you could set different sizes for image on main page and inside post).

The image inside post is not even resized automatically when it’s too big and doesn’t fit container.

Example of bug: Test post 1 – http://www.foxtrot.me/
    Width is set 0 and height 250. You can see the image is not resized inside post.

Page Header – Image
    1) Hard Crop is cool but I think you should add also Soft Crop (Resize) option. It could be useful.

2) That note “Use “0” or leave blank to calculate height based on width.” is not really accurate. If you set width and set height to “0” then height is automatically full height of the image. If you set height and set width to “0” then width is automatically set to 1200.
    These “calculated” dimensions are definitely not calculated from other dimensions. Well, they are actually not calculated at all because one is always full height and second is always 1200.

Both
    These both settings automatically created resized/cropped images in wp-content/uploads folder. That alone is good because browser can just download small resized image and not big original but there is one problem.

If you set that settings then new resized image is created but even if you set some new setting and stop using that old resized image then old one is not deleted.

For example I am testing now a lot of different resize and crop settings so in that folder are like 50 different cropped images now. Most of them will be never used again because I changed that settings.

Please make it so that old now unused resized images are automatically deleted so it’s not taking space.

Thanks.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Blog – Post Image

1. Actually, you should have to set it to 9999 – this is a WordPress thing. I’ll see if I can get that to happen automatically.

2. This is intended behavior – the post image settings are only supposed to apply to the blog excerpts, as the single post page header is handled by the page header add-on and can be manipulated using that add-on. A lot of users are using this system now with success, so if I made that change I would get a wave of unhappy users coming at me who updated and saw changes on their site.

To set the sizing on individual posts and pages, you can use the Page Header add-on.

Page Header Image

1. To resize proportionally, just leave the height as 0. That will resize the image to the desired width while maintaining the aspect ratio.

2. Maybe the language here needs to change to “proportional” – if no height is set, the image will keep the aspect ratio of the image based on the width, but still show the full image. This is good for users who don’t want to hard crop (soft crop).

Deleting images from the server is tricky and requires permissions and other things. It’s a good idea to keep your uploads folder clean.

If I could do it again – I wouldn’t even provide a resizing mechanism for the page headers, I would suggest the user uses the “Edit Image” function within the media library to resize, crop etc.. It provides much more control than what I can do with a few settings.

I agree with you though – the Page Header add-on is in need of a completely rebuild/makeover.

I’m in the process of readying our next major update – once those updates are out, I’ll be rebuilding Sections and Page Header to be more user friendly than they are now.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas! They’ll help me make it a much better add-on 🙂

Ondřej

Well, that “Edit Image” gives more control but you have to edit every single image. If you just want to do it automatically then Page Header Image is better. You can just upload image of whatever dimensions and tell it that you want resize it in Page Header to some specified dimensions and it’s done for all images at once.

Page Header – Image
    1) No, I tried and it didn’t resize proportionally.
    I took large image, enabled Hard Crop, set Image Width to 500 and Image Height to 0. This happend: http://www.foxtrot.me/test-post-1/

And even if it worked somehow I think that resizing just by width isn’t ideal.
    For tall images height is more important. So there should be some way to set just height and width would be calculated. If even after resize that image would be wider than site’s content container than it would use width of container and calculate height of that image so it would fit the container.

I tried (with tall image), set width to 0 (it was then automatically set to 1200), height to 500 an this happend: http://www.foxtrot.me/test-post-3/

I know that I could just edit every image in that wordpress tool but I like better this option that resizes every image automatically.

Thanks 🙂

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Interesting – thanks so much for those examples.

I’ll look into these issues and get back to you 🙂

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I have this fixed in the next version of GP Premium.

To set the size by height and have the width be proportional, you should be able to set the width as “9999” (WordPress thing), and then set the height.

If you want to test it out, shoot me an email at support@generatepress.com.

Thanks! 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.