[Resolved] Blog Main Page Post elements not formatting correctly

Home Forums Support Blog Main Page Post elements not formatting correctly

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Zachary

For some reason, my Blog show entries on the Blog main page isn’t formatting as it looks in Elementor. Instead of the “read more” button aligning just right of the thumbnail image and under the excerpt and no social media plugs, the live version of my site is placing the “read more” button under the image and adding the shar icons. It looks really clunky. How can I fix this? I’ve already tried the “WP Show Posts” section to fix.

how it should look with Read more button

How it actually formats....ugly

Thanks!

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Any specific reasons you are using WP Show Posts and Elementor for the main blog page instead of using the default posts page?

Let me know 🙂

Zachary

Yes, i use the default “posts” page to input my posts which are formatting just fine when you see the entire post, but its the Excerpt or blog menu page that I’m having issues formatting. Am I missing something?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Sorry I’m a bit confused.

The page you linked named Blog is not actually the posts page – it’s just a static page using WP Show Posts.

If you want that page to be the posts page, it needs to be assigned under Settings > Reading.

And it shouldn’t involved Elementor at all.

Does that make sense or I’m still missing something?

Zachary

I’m a noob so i’m learning as I’m going. I did what you said and made my blog page the “posts” page and now it looks even worse…than the content/sidebar simple layout that I had.
    https://www.cutthebear.com/blog/

Zachary

Ok so I was able to alter some settings in GP and it is now looking fine. I guess there’s no way ot get that single column look with the posts, but it looks good now. Thanks!

What’s confusing is when I should be using GP, Elementor, or WP Settings to make alterations. Do you have any rules or best practice suggestions for that?

Thanks!

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

You can absolutely use the single column layout – simply uncheck the “Display posts in columns” option:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/using-columns-in-the-blog/

Personally I don’t use Elementor so I can’t really say when to use which – it really depends on what you are trying to create and your comfort level with HTML and CSS.

Elementor free can’t be used to modify the main blog page though.

Zachary

Thank you Leo…that helped me get it to look the way I wanted. I just need to learn when to use GP premium vs Elementor vs WordPress in house options.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.