[Resolved] Blog layout and random questions

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Blog layout and random questions

Home Forums Support Blog layout and random questions

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Yannick

Hi at all,
    I was using the Tesseract Theme with beaver builder till I found the GP theme which provides more functions and to all this it has this special and in some way unique “business philosophy” yesterday and so I decided to switch. Thank you Tom!

I’m not really experienced yet, so maybe some of my questions are not the smartest… but I cant really find answers, so hopefully someone can help me here.

Is there a reason why I should stop using beaverbuilder and use the sections which GP provides? If there’s a reason, how can I change the “about us” page with sections that it’s similarly to the actual look.

On my “stories” page (posts page) “disable elements” is not working like on the other pages. I would also like to change the layout of the stories page compared to the other pages (contained, space between blog and right sidebar etc., the navigation bar and the footer should look similar to the other pages). How can I do this?

The same problem I have with the category page (probably a even bigger problem because I don’t even have a page where I can change settings, it’s just a category…), e.g.: when you click on “road” then on the country India and then on the country itself. Here I would like to list all posts of the category India (same layout like the stories page, different to the other pages) and I would like to have a slider on top with my favourite India pictures. Can somebody also help me with this? Or is there a way to create a self-made category page?

Are this problems maybe coming from the tesseract theme?

I’m also happy about any other comment, critic or improvent advices for the homepage! Please let me know. ☺

http://www.amuddyroad.com

Thank you already for answering!
    Best wishes

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Thanks for choosing GP!

1. No reason to stop using BB and use Sections – it’s totally up to what you need vs what you don’t need. Page builders like BB offer tons of stuff that Sections don’t. Sections are very simple, so if you don’t need all of the widgets/extra functions of BB, then they’re awesome.

2. Disable Elements only work on static pages – this is a limitation in WordPress. However, there’s some very simple CSS you can use to disable elements. If you want to let me know which elements you want to disable, I can provide the CSS.

Not sure what you mean by contained? Which elements?

The spacing between the content and sidebar is controlled by the separating space. Or are you using the “One container” option so there’s no separating space?

3. You can insert elements into specific categories like sliders using GP Hooks. For example: https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/page-header-addon-not-working-on-woocommerce-pages/page/2/#post-165475

Your site is looking awesome! 🙂

Yannick

I would like to use only for the stories page the “separated containers”.

The elements I would like to disable are Header, Secondary Navigation, Post Image / Page Header, Content Title.

Excerpts is somehow also not working for my stories page, normally it should work with “customize” > “blog content” > “show excerpts” or?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

1. You could set the blog to use separate containers with this function:

add_filter( 'body_class', 'yannick_body_class', 100, 2 );
    function yannick_body_class( $wp_classes, $extra_classes )
    {
        $wp_classes[] = 'one-container';
        if ( is_home() ) {
            $wp_classes = array_diff( $wp_classes, array( 'separate-containers' ) );
        } else {
            $wp_classes = array_diff( $wp_classes, array( 'one-container' ) );
        }

// Add the extra classes back untouched
        return array_merge( $wp_classes, (array) $extra_classes );
    }

2. You can do that on the blog like this:

.blog .site-header,
    .blog .secondary-navigation,
    .blog .post-image,
    .blog .entry-header {
        display: none;
    }

.blog is the main posts page, .archive is the categories, archives etc..

3. That’s correct, the excerpt should work if set in “Customize > Blog > Blog Content”. If that’s not working, make sure the more tag isn’t being used: https://generatepress.com/knowledgebase/using-the-more-tag/

Yannick

Thank you Tom!

1. Tried all day but I think this is at the moment too much for me 😀 I need to do more researches. Do you maybe know a nice tutorial or homepage to understand this stuff?
    It’s almost the same, different code, but logically the same, if I want to keep it as a single container and just change the containersize of the dynamic pages compared to the global settings?
    2. Worked pretty well for the stories page!
    For the single post sites I placed the css code in “edit post” in the simple css and it’s doing its job! Thanks!
    Is there maybe a way to set this global for all dynamic pages or at least for all posts in “appearance > simple css”?
    3. Works out, only for the new posts, not for my old ones but that’s no problem at all because I’m still building up the page.

Best wishes
    Yannick

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

1. All you should need to do is paste that code using the instructions here: https://generatepress.com/knowledgebase/adding-php-functions/

2. For all posts, you would replace .blog with .single.

Glad I could help! 🙂

Yannick

Once again me…

I installed Simple php and added the code and now the following error is occurring: “Fatal error: Call to undefined function home() in /home2/muddyroad/public_html/wp-content/plugins/generate-simple-php/custom.php on line 12” in your simple php plugin is written: “Caution: Be sure to have access to your server via File Manager or FTP in case an error occurs” so I checked on my cPanel and there are “special ftp accounts listed?!
    Sorry but I don’t really get what I have to do… if this takes too much time for you, don’t bother, I found a way to change the container size for my blogs, which is already pretty satisfying me 🙂

On my stories page was this sidebar although I chose “Content (no sidebars)” on “edit page”, on the single post pages it’s working like this. I got rid of it with “.blog .sidebar {display: none;}” but there’s still the space of the sidebar left, I tried different things in simple css like padding etc. but couldn’t find a solution… you may have an answer?

Greetings
    Yannick

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Sorry about that – I just adjusted the function above to include the right call (is_home()). Did you manage to remove this function from Simple PHP to remove the error?

The blog sidebar is set through “Customize > Layout > Sidebars”.

Let me know if you need more info 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.